none
DCOM event ID 10009

Question

• One of our DCs (Server 2008 R2) is reporting error event ID 10009, the details are:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer {computer FQDN} using any of the configured protocols.

The computer specified has not existed for quite some time. I can't find any reference to this computer anywhere, how can I stop this error being recorded in the windows system logs?

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. However I also have no definite resolutions for you at present.

Maybe you can try to disable DCOM and then enable it to see if the issue remains.

Disable/enable DCOM:

1. Run dcomcnfg in the command prompt.
    2. In Component Services, click Console root, expand Component Services, expand Computers, and then right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Default Properties tab, then unselect/select the Enable Distributed COM on this Computer.
    4. Restart to take effect.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:43 AM
  • As this is a production environment it has been decided to leave this alone for the moment as it is not causing any issues. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Event ID 10009 indicates the local DCOM client couldn’t reach the remote DCOM server. Maybe you can try the follows:

1. Ping the remote computer name in the command prompt to ensure that the remote computer is online.
    2. Check the firewall settings and enable the firewall exception rule. If the firewall exception rule is not enabled, please open the TCP port 135.
    3. Review available Extended RPC Error information for this event in Event Viewer.

More information:

Event ID 10009 — COM Remote Service Availability

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774368(v=WS.10).aspx

How to troubleshoot DCOM 10009 error logged in system event?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2010/03/16/how-to-troubleshoot-dcom-10009-error-logged-in-system-event.aspx

Regards,

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, however...

I had already found the above info in several places. The details in the question quoting "The computer specified has not existed for quite some time. I can't find any reference to this computer anywhere" indicate that the machine is not found, does not respond to pings and is most definitely not online.

The machine mentioned was decommissioned around a year ago, the DNS entry and all pointers were removed and the AD account was deleted. 

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. However I also have no definite resolutions for you at present.

Maybe you can try to disable DCOM and then enable it to see if the issue remains.

Disable/enable DCOM:

1. Run dcomcnfg in the command prompt.
    2. In Component Services, click Console root, expand Component Services, expand Computers, and then right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Default Properties tab, then unselect/select the Enable Distributed COM on this Computer.
    4. Restart to take effect.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:09 AM
  • As this is a production environment it has been decided to leave this alone for the moment as it is not causing any issues. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Hi,
    You're welcome. It 's always my pleasure to help you.
    Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:09 AM