none
Unable to install Hyper-V feature under Windows 8

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install the Hyper-V feature under Windows 8 but it keeps on failing. I am able to select the feature in the configuration manager. After completing this a reboot is required. Upon booting Windows shows a message that it is configuring the feature and shows the progress in %. When 100% is reached is shows the message: Failure configuring windows features and it performs a roll back and reboots.

Regards,

Suresh Matada

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:11 AM

Answers

• this has nothing to do with the CPU. If the CPU doesn't support SLAT, the checkbox is grayed out

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:09 AM
  • it shows that the CPU supprts the features, so please fo what I told you or you'll never get an answer.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Suresh Matada,

Please make sure your computer can meet the Hyper-V’s requirements firstly. Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system that has Second Level Address Translation (SLAT). What’s more, 4 GB of RAM is required.

For your information, please review this article Client Hyper-V to learn more about the requirements, usage scenarios, and installation procedures for Client Hyper-V:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh857623.aspx

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:39 AM
    • Virtualization (VTx) and DEP has been enable in the bios.
    • Tried with command : dism /Online /enable-feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V /All.

Still getting same error.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Upload the folder C:\Windows\Logs\CBS (compressed as zip) to your SkyDrive and post a link here.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:02 PM
  • If you're using an Intel processor, run the Intel processor identification tool and see if the necessary features are present: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm

In their wisdom, Intel made certain features available in some models/steps of a processor but not in others, so there's no real way to tell without running the utility. On the same model laptops, mine won't run Hyper-V, but other people's will, because my processor was an earlier step of the same model as theirs.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:30 AM
  • this has nothing to do with the CPU. If the CPU doesn't support SLAT, the checkbox is grayed out

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Can you run systeminfo.exe and show us the output shown under  the header "Hyper-V Requirements"?

Ray - Author of Windows 7 for XP Professionals

Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:46 AM
  • C:\temp\Coreinfo>Coreinfo.exe -v

Coreinfo v3.2 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology

Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Mark Russinovich

Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel

HYPERVISOR      -       Hypervisor is present

VMX             *       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization

EPT             *       Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Just curious... is Hyper-V enabled in the BIOS?

Some BIOS systems have that turned off by default.

Regards,

David
    Windows IT Pro

David Dracoules

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:20 PM
  • it shows that the CPU supprts the features, so please fo what I told you or you'll never get an answer.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install the Hyper-V feature under Windows 8 but it keeps on failing. I am able to select the feature in the configuration manager. After completing this a reboot is required. Upon booting Windows shows a message that it is configuring the feature and shows the progress in %. When 100% is reached is shows the message: Failure configuring windows features and it performs a roll back and reboots.

Regards,

Suresh Matada

Exactly the same issue here, it worked fine when running Windows 8.0
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Did you already try this? Uninstall Hyper-V, reboot, run the following dism commands, reboot, Install Hyper-V

dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:50 AM