none
Skydrive Pro client, group policy install

Question

• Hi All

This is my first time posting in any Forum.

I have recently started working for a new company and have never worked with active directories or group policies before.

What I am trying to do is deploy the skydrive pro Client via a group policy onto multiple computers.

I have already managed to come up with a script to sun and install office 2013,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also a link to download the msi installer package would be much appreciated.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding how to use group policy to deploy software to computers, we first need to create a distribution point.

To create a distribution point:

1. Log on to the server as an administrator.

2. Create a shared network folder where you will put the Microsoft Windows Installer package (.msi file) that you want to distribute.

3. Set permissions on the share to allow access to the distribution package.

4. Copy or install the package to the distribution point. For example, to distribute Microsoft Office XP, run the administrative installation (setup.exe /a) to copy the files to the distribution point.

After creating a distribution point and opening the GPO we use to deploy the installation package, we can assign the package to computers:

1. Under Computer Configuration, expand Software Settings.

2. Right-click Software installation, point to New, and then click Package.

3. In the Open dialog box, type the full Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of the shared installer package that you want. For example, \\file server\share\file name.msi.

Important:Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path of the shared installer package.

4. Click Open.

5. Click Assigned, and then click OK. The package is listed in the right-pane of the Group Policy window.

When the client computer starts, the managed software package is automatically installed.

Regarding how to use group policy to install software, the following article may be referred to for more information.

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102#method5

In addition, I searched around for you, and I found that the SkyDrive Pro sync client has been installed if we have installed the versions of Office 2013 described in the following article.

How to switch from an MSI installation of SkyDrive Pro standalone to a Click-To-Run installation of SkyDrive Pro standalone

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2904296

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Office, I'll move your question to the forum for Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 15, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding how to use group policy to deploy software to computers, we first need to create a distribution point.

To create a distribution point:

1. Log on to the server as an administrator.

2. Create a shared network folder where you will put the Microsoft Windows Installer package (.msi file) that you want to distribute.

3. Set permissions on the share to allow access to the distribution package.

4. Copy or install the package to the distribution point. For example, to distribute Microsoft Office XP, run the administrative installation (setup.exe /a) to copy the files to the distribution point.

After creating a distribution point and opening the GPO we use to deploy the installation package, we can assign the package to computers:

1. Under Computer Configuration, expand Software Settings.

2. Right-click Software installation, point to New, and then click Package.

3. In the Open dialog box, type the full Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of the shared installer package that you want. For example, \\file server\share\file name.msi.

Important:Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path of the shared installer package.

4. Click Open.

5. Click Assigned, and then click OK. The package is listed in the right-pane of the Group Policy window.

When the client computer starts, the managed software package is automatically installed.

Regarding how to use group policy to install software, the following article may be referred to for more information.

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102#method5

In addition, I searched around for you, and I found that the SkyDrive Pro sync client has been installed if we have installed the versions of Office 2013 described in the following article.

How to switch from an MSI installation of SkyDrive Pro standalone to a Click-To-Run installation of SkyDrive Pro standalone

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2904296

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:28 AM
  • HI.  Do you mind to share your script to install office 2013?

Inbox me at mandume@atushe.com

Mandume

• Edited by Mandume Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:53 AM