none
Local Move - Exchange 2010 -> Exchange 2010 / Outlook 2007

Question

• Hi Folks,

Just wondering if this is a very simple thing or not:

Exchange 2010 all service packs on both servers.

Outlook 2007 SP1 (or maybe no Service Pack - will it mater)?

Local Move request, overnight for my own mailbox with outlook closed.  The next morning, outlook works fine after the mailbox move, however it is still pointing to the Old Exchange server.

Troubleshooting:

I ran a command that showed my the ClientAccessServer per mailstore and that was correct.

Deleted outlook profile and re-created - FIXED. Correct server was now populated by the auto discovery.

However, when I moved more mailboxes, the same issue happened. It appears that Outlook 2007 does not update the new server name unless I force it with a new profile or change the server manually, per user. 

Am I missing something, should it not update itself automatically so that when old server is "turned off" we won't have a heap of Outlook disconnection issues?

I'm sure it's something simple but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

JL

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• I think you have been caught out by the change of architecture in Exchange 2010.
    Outlook doesn't connect to the Mailbox Database directly, it connects to the CAS.
    The fact that you have the Mailbox role and the CAS role on the same server doesn't make any difference, other than confusing matters.

An Outlook client can use any CAS server in the AD site to access the mailbox.

Therefore the behaviour you have seen is what I would expect to see. The CAS server hasn't changed.
    Repairing the Outlook profile would have done the same as recreating the profile.

What I would recommend is that you deploy a CAS array host. This doesn't have to be NLB or anything, it can point to the IP address of one of the CAS servers. Then you can simply change the DNS entry to move the clients to the other server.

Although retro-fitting a CAS array means a visit to each client to update the host name, so is ideally best done when Exchange is first installed.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:21 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jleavy Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:47 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi and Thanks for the reply,

Sadly that's not the answer I wanted to see. Basically, we need to kill one server (the old one!) fairly fast. I've now moved all 600 mailboxes off the old server onto our shiny new server (with a RAID that actually works!)

So, at the moment all clients are still pointing to the old exchange server - unless, as you say - you repair the profile or create a new profile. I need a quick and nasty solution that we can deploy to set everyone's outlook to the new Exchange server (which is also the CAS)

Is the exchange server value set in the registry? Can it be changed there (via Group Policy)?

I read somewhere the I could have a DNS CNAME pointing to the new server in DNS but that just sounds messy but I suppose it would work if the old server does die tonight!!!!

Thanks,

JL

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:02 PM
  • The Exchange server name isn't set in the registry, it is part of the Outlook Profile. That is why you cannot configure Outlook with group policy.

Whatever option you do isn't going to be sustainable. For example you could just remove the server correctly using add/remove programs, take the downtime hit while you do so, then change the DNS entry for the old server and point it to the new server. That may well work, but it isn't going to update the server name.

That should work, although it isn't something I have done myself.

Ultimately you need to create a CAS array so that you remove the dependency on a single server and start to move clients to that address, it is the only thing that is sustainable long term.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Hi jleavy,

Per my knwon, after the movation the server that the client connect would not be changed immediately, and we'd better to keep the old server for a period time, and then poser down the old server to confirm everyting would work well, finally to remove the old server.
    If we want to change it immedately, either repair the oulook profile or recreate it, or we could power down the old server and force the outlook use the autodiscover service to change the server connected.

Regards!
    Gavin 
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 3:50 AM
  • To force Outlook Profiles to update with the new server name simply uninstall the CAS role from the old server, then wait for AutoDiscover to kick in (or have all your users restart Outlook).
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:36 PM
  • We used RichProfile for a similar issue. Run it from a logon script and it will update the profiles with the new Server Name ensuring everyone is pointing to the correct exchange server. You can download it from their website (www.richprofile.com), although I don't think that it is free anymore. Cheers.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 7:42 PM