Second blu-ray player not showing in Win 8 64 CP

Question

• Hi all,

My two LG blu-ray DVD players show and work perfectly in Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

Only my second one shows in Windows 8 Consumer Device Manager or in Desktop.

My system is i960 3.2 Quad core, Asus Sabertooth X58, GTX 460 Video, and 24 Gb of Micron DDR3-1600 memory.

I have not been able to find anybody who can assist me in getting the first DVD player to show and function.

Any help is appreciated.

Take care...........

Lee

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:00 AM

All replies

• I've heard of this, but the official sounding um, person will have to give the official answer. 

My unofficial answer is, if a certain older version of windows sees two identical atapi drives, it only checks a large part of the hardware ID and decides that one is a bogie and deletes the entry. It's here, I promise, but I look like a guy mumbling on the subway unless I can find a source, so forget everything I said, except the part about "there's an answer" . 

o, yeah, minor footnote, an Asus user really ranted on about "aspg" messing up the atapi drives. He didn't really have a valid reason, he only said that it was stopped from running by msconfig and everything worked again.
    • Edited by Wes R Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Hi Wes,

What the heck is aspg?

Maybe I am brain dead?

Take care,

Lee

Thanx, Lee R. Chumbley

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:10 AM
  • It is something he wrote about trying to troubleshoot his atapi drive disappearing. He had written Asus for an answer, they apparently never did answer, and he guessed it was some service interfering. he disabled stuff, one-by-one, til he got to "ASPG", a copy protection program produced by asus.

I didn't say it was "The answer",  I have an asus system (sabertooth) and I do not have that file. He had a notebook. I just thought I should mention it. 

• Edited by Wes R Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi again,

FYI:

It is "Asus Power Gear Application", what ever that means. :)

Take care, and thanx for the help............

Thanx, Lee R. Chumbley

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:06 AM
  • You should confirm that the BIOS can recognize the device. Also let us know if the device is detected in Device Manager.

You may upgrade your BIOS.

If it is indicated as driver issue in Device Manager, download the driver for the device and install it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

As I previously stated, it shows in Device Manager in Win 7 64, but DOES NOT show in Win 8 64.

I have the latest BIOS and it show in BIOS as having two players.

It is deffinately a Win 8 64 issue, not a BIOS or Win 7 64 issue.

Take care.......

Thanx, Lee R. Chumbley

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:48 PM