none
Event ID 201: license fail on SBS 2003

Question

• Hello there
    I am receiving the following error messages in conjunction with each other:

Event ID 201           Source: License Service

No license was available for user {Username} usingproduct FilePrint .
     Use Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder to ensure that you have sufficient licenses.

and

Event ID: 222
              Source: License Service

License usage for product Windows Server is at the maximum number of per server licenses purchased. New license requests may not
    be granted. Consult Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information.

When event 201 occurs, the user cannot connect to the network, resulting in a phone call from the client. This has begun happening recently to a client’s
    SBS 2003. I have tried reinstalling the licenses, including activated the backup licstr.cpa within the System32 folder. But this continues recur,
    Restarting the license logging service offers only temporary reprieve. This recently happened to another clients SBS 2003
    machine, which leads me to suspect an update as the culprit.

Can anyone help? Appreciate your input in advance

Regards
    MIS

MIS5000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:22 AM

All replies

• No update is the trigger.  Antivirus may be scanning that file and
    mangling it.  Make sure you exclude it from a/v scans.
    Running out of room on the c drive will do it as well.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Hi and thanks for your reply

I have excluded it from the virus scanner (which I had forgotten to mention) and the C: drive has plenty of space. I have just now temporarily disabled AV to see how we go in case it is ignoring the command. Any other thoughts? Can i ask what you mean by No Update is the trigger?

Many Thanks

MIS

MIS5000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:23 AM
  • I write on Patching for Windowssecrets.com. No update would have impacted that.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

At first, you need to make sure that the number of users DO NOT exceeded compared to the available licenses installed on the server.

If you would like to query CALs used on your SBS 2003, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Client Access Licenses
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx

If you add a computer running Windows Server as a member server in a Windows SBS domain, you don't need any extra licenses for the client computers to access the member server; the Windows SBS CAL covers that, too!

If you have a member server running applications that require their own licenses—for example, Terminal Server, or a line-of-business application with a SQL Server backend—then you might need to buy additional licenses for those applications. Check the licensing requirements for the application.

Introduction to Windows Small Business Server 2003 for Enterprise IT Pros

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 02, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Hi James

The situation hasn’t changed and my client is seeking to find the original CALs to re-install. One issue that I
    think may have caused this:  The server was running on a full C drive for a time where we had to compress old files as
    per Disk Clean Up until we could replace and expand the drive. The licstr.cpa file and the autolicstr.cpa were
    both compressed, though they are not now.

The issue still remains. My client does have enough licenses to cover connections, but I thought that SBS
    2003 isn’t governed by licensing restrictions (as in Server 2003 standard) due to design, or has this recently changed?

Many Thanks

MIS

MIS5000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:54 AM
  • It's the other way around, SBS is much more of a license nanny than Windows server.

did you see if this helped?  In the SBS console (not the Windows server licensing console) how many cals does it have?

http://blog.chrisara.com.au/2006/09/small-business-server-2003-dreaded-5.html

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:13 AM
  • Back to you Susan?

Yes I have performed these steps to no avail. I have attached a screen shot for you. I can’t be sure but
    we installed an extra 10 licenses on top of the original five. My client is looking for those now

I am a little confused though; I have over the years seen a
    number of SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 servers that do not have more that the default
    5 licenses installed, yet up 10 to 20 users connecting. In one instance an SBS
    2003 had over 50 users connecting with no extra licenses.   I understood that the licensing arrangements
    were under an honour system and not monitored, which explains why those servers
    I have seen were getting away with it.

Regards
    MIS

MIS5000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Someone had to have hacked off their sbscore service then.  SBS 2000 you could disable the license logging.  SBS 2008 no longer counts cals.  SBS 2003 has a sbscore service that turns licensing back on.

50 users all actively accessing a 5 user sbs 2003 should be freaking that box out.

The server came with 5 built in, 5 cals have been added for a total of 10.  The server has a fudge factor of 5.  You are at 15.  If you have more users than that, you need more cals.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:47 AM