none
Add new new account failed in SBS 2011 using console wizard

Question

• Hi All,

I'm having a problem adding a new user account for some unknown reason using the SBS 2011 Console. When I use the Add new user wizard I get an error stating "Add new user account failed".

I have checked that the Active domain Directory Services are running and have restarted them to ensure all is correct, however the wizard gives an error at the first step "Adding user account ...". Screenshot shown below.

Any ideas beside running the console repair via "Program Features" as suggested http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680337.aspx?

Thanks,

Joe

• Edited by Joe Bader Monday, April 16, 2012 1:41 AM Clarified title to advise console wizard used
    Monday, April 16, 2012 1:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have a look in:

c:\program files\windows small business server\logs

There should be an AddUser.log file  - post it up?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Have a look in:

c:\program files\windows small business server\logs

There should be an AddUser.log file  - post it up?

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your offer to help.

I renamed the old log as it was slightly larger and recreated the error. I've added a link to the log as requested and I'm interested to hear if you have any feedback.

[link removed as not relevant to the answer]

Joe Bader

• Edited by Joe Bader Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:13 PM Link removed
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:41 AM
  • Has the wizard ever worked correctly?

You get through the wizard successfully - entering all details - then it fails on the next page?

Have you modified the password policy at all?

Have you done anything directly in Active Directory?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi Joe,

Thank you for the post.

Try suggestions below and hope it helps you.
    1. Verify MyBusiness OU and sub OU not changed in ADUC like screenshot in blog below:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/24/why-are-some-of-my-client-computers-servers-not-displaying-in-the-sbs-console.aspx
    2. Check the msExchPolicyOrder attribute value if set to 1
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/14c4d6a7-42a6-4c72-b84e-3eddd1654f3c

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Has the wizard ever worked correctly?

You get through the wizard successfully - entering all details - then it fails on the next page?

Have you modified the password policy at all?

Have you done anything directly in Active Directory?

Adding user using the console did work previously. This is a relatively new SBS2011 server currently with only two users added for setup as Network Adminstrator. I had previously setup test users and just came across this lately when I was ready to actually setup a number of real users.

Correct. After adding the details then password, fails on the next page at the first action as pictured in the screenshot.

Password policy is untouched.

I don't think anything has been changed in Active Directory. Usually I don't change things if I don't know what they do.

Joe Bader

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Try suggestions below and hope it helps you.
    1. Verify MyBusiness OU and sub OU not changed in ADUC like screenshot in blog below:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/24/why-are-some-of-my-client-computers-servers-not-displaying-in-the-sbs-console.aspx
    2. Check the msExchPolicyOrder attribute value if set to 1
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/14c4d6a7-42a6-4c72-b84e-3eddd1654f3c

Thanks Rick. I hope I understand your instructions. I read the first blog and the MyBusiness OU is called TSAU. I believe this was configured during the initial setup wizard or a wizard somewhere along the way.

I've copied some details shown below found using the AD Admin Center.

Domain Controller...

CN=TSAU-SBS,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=tsau,DC=local

Managed by...

CN=Joe Bader,OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=TSAU,DC=tsau,DC=local

The other thing I noticed, I can't see the SBS server under the section tsau.local\TSAU\Computers\SBSServers. Is this normal?

I also can't see any computers or servers listed in the SBS Console under Computers. This doesn't seem right to me.

This is my first SBS setup and I'm learning as I go. I think I've done well and have 95% of it ready to go live except for this issue.

I am unclear about to second blog and how to check the msExchPolicyOrder.

Joe Bader

• Edited by Joe Bader Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:48 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Yes it is normal not to see the SBS Server there - it should be under Domain Controllers.

Please rename the 'CN=TSAU-SBS,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=tsau,DC=local' OU back to 'MyBusiness'.

• Marked as answer by Joe Bader Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Please rename the 'CN=TSAU-SBS,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=tsau,DC=local' OU back to 'MyBusiness'.

Done! It worked and I just created my first new user and a long time!

Thank you very verry much :-)

I can't believe that's all it was, but I'm not surprised.

Joe Bader

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:54 AM
  • First Rule of SBS - dont TOUCH ANYTHING ;o)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to respond. Your suggestions did help in this case.

Much appreciated. Cheers!

Joe Bader

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:15 PM