Install Issues with Server 2012 R2 Essentials

Question

• A few months ago i setup a home server with an older Dell Precision Workstation 470, and installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  A few specs are:  dual Intel Xeon 3.0ghz single core processors, 4 gb of ECC ram, and several hard drives (2x 1 tb, 1x 120gb IDE drive for OS, and a few smaller ones added in).  Had no issues with installation or setup.

I recently downloaded the Server 2012 R2 Essentials iso from my MSDN account to install on the server.  On my first try I used a bootable USB drive that I made using Microsofts software (this is how i installed server 2012 essentials as well) and started the install while in the original OS.  The installation started fine, and then did a restart to which it just keeps looping.  It will say "loading files", then get the the blue window loading screen and error out and force a restart.  The error happens so fast i cannot read what it says.

I thought maybe it was an issue installing in the OS, so i re-downloaded and remade the iso bootable usb drive, and formatted my OS harddrive and tried a clean install.  Same problem.

Any ideas on how to get it installed, or is there something in my system that is incompatible?

Thanks

Zac

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Once the install makes it to the restart remove the USB drive. Your PC is most likely booting from this instead of your HDD.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:47 AM
  • I will try pull the stick after the "loading files" completes.  But there is no OS on the hard drive now, so if I start up the system it says "no OS to start" or something to that affect.  I have done some reading and think that maybe my processors are incapable of running the OS.  They are not hyper-v capable, but i figured if they could run Server 2012 Ess., then Server 2012 r2 Ess. would be fine.  

I did record the error and slow motioned it, and was about to get this: ( the code flashes fast and gets the two listed below.)

Your PC needs to restart Please hold down the power button Error Code 0x0000005D

Error Code 0x000000C4

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:40 PM
  • For sure check the iso file consistency with SHA1.

Rgds

Milos

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:42 PM