none
Mixed multipath I/O configuration

Question

• Hi all,

I've a Windows 2008R2 physical server that uses the LUNs exposed by a iSCSI storage via multipath IO.

The storage supports both iSCSI and FC connections, so we want to migrate iSCSI connections to FC. At a given time, can I expose a LUN to a Windows server both in iSCSI and FC? Does the servers sees the same LUN with 4 paths? (2 iSCSI and 2 FC)?

It is better to shutdown the server, disconnect iSCSI, connect FC and reboot?

Monday, September 02, 2013 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi

You better close all services that use the LUN, disconnect the iSCSI LUN, close the server and connect the FC.

Thats is the simplest and safier path to take.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

You better close all services that use the LUN, disconnect the iSCSI LUN, close the server and connect the FC.

Thats is the simplest and safier path to take.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with you but I'm not sure that Windows would recognize the FC LUN as the same LUN exposed via iSCSI. I fear that Windows ask me to reinitialize the partition. 

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Hi

It's supposed to connect to the same LUN (aka same MFT, NTFS partition, etc..)

I did that trick to recover a server snapshot. Connecting a snapshoted volume to another VM to recover some file, and the partition was always readable.

If really unsure, create another iSCSI LUN, copy some data and after connect it in FC to see how it re-act with your SAN.

My biggest fear on my side is to have two connection on the same volume from inside Windows. In my idea that will bring you corruption

Thanks

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:43 AM
  • Hi

I forgot to mention, I seen Dell SAN that have the iSCSI controller and the FC controller. The Dell engineer I seen sell it as a way to migrate a FC setup to iSCSI. (so it's  backward too)  

If they use that speech, I would not fear to have LUN issue, as any major SAN manufacturer must have that speech when the SAN got a dual controller.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:31 AM