none
Best practice for system mailboxes in DAG

Question

• Ina DAG enviornment, i have generally left the arbitration and system mailboxes in the default database.... other clients want them moved into one of the DAG'ged databases.... for the sake of the database structure looking clean (and stopping availability errors from being logged) - which i understand as well.

Is there any best practice around this? I cant seem to find one on technet....

or does it just not really matter ?

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:10 PM

Answers

• In Exchange 2010 SP1 onwards, the admin audit log is held in an arbitration mailbox.

In addition to losing it totally, when it is unavailable you will see errors logged stating that events cannot be written to it, so there will be a gap in the audit logging. 

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Ben_22 Monday, August 19, 2013 9:08 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 4:01 AM

All replies

• I would definitely move them into a replicated database.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:18 AM
  • Yup. 

Would you really want to lose the Admin Audit log data ??

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:04 AM
  • fair enough - but any reasons ? (apart from the cleanliness and lack of app event log errors?)

From what I can see, there's no actual benefit to DAG'ging them.... in that if you leave each DAG member with its default mailboxes locally - all roles can still be performed in the case of a failover.

Im not saying you're wrong - im just trying to evaluate if there is any real difference when it comes to the actual functions these mailboxes provide.

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:20 AM
  • ahh sorry - I wrote that reply before seeing your reply Rhoderick.

So the admin audit log is stored in a system mailbox? So if a member went down and was unrecoverable - all of the audit log would be lost for that member.... ok.

That's the info I was after... anything else that you're aware of ?

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:24 AM
  • In Exchange 2010 SP1 onwards, the admin audit log is held in an arbitration mailbox.

In addition to losing it totally, when it is unavailable you will see errors logged stating that events cannot be written to it, so there will be a gap in the audit logging. 

Cheers,

Rhoderick

• Marked as answer by Ben_22 Monday, August 19, 2013 9:08 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 4:01 AM
  • ok - thanks for the info mate.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 9:08 AM