none
Windows 7 crashing after OS Task Sequence

Question

• I have a strange one for you. I will try to be as clear as I can;

Background:

About 18 months ago, created a few standard Task Sequences with MDT 2010. One with Windows 7 Ent x64 with Office 2010 x64 (Image 1), one with Windows 7 Ent x64 with Office 2010 x32 (image 2) and one with Windows 7 Ent x32 with Office 2010 x32 (image 3). Within these task sequnces I was also installing the usual suspects, Adobe Reader, Flash, Java, Silverlight etc. This was all working fine, no issues what so ever.

Issue:

Went on 3 weeks holiday, came back, image 1 still working fine. image 2 working fine. Image 3, stuffed. No one had touched it while I was on leave. What it is doing now is running through the task sequence, initialization, validation, state capture, Pre-Insatll. It starts the TS step of installation of the OS, it installs the OS, OS features, OS updates, runs through the Postinstall right up to the 'Restart computer' step.

The computer restarts, Windows starts to load ( the colourful windows slowly pulsating) then, computer restarts without warning or any error messages. It then displays the infamous ' Windows failed to start' screen.

What I have done to try and fix. Copied the unattend.xml file from image 1 and 2, made the necessary changes to work with Win7 x32. Created a brand new TS from scratch.

Now here is where it gets wierd, if i create a bootable USB of the brand new Image, it works without incident. Driver issue???

Any help would be appreciated, its doing my head in.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:46 AM

All replies

• It looks like you get an blue screen and the system restarts, you can check this by hitting F8 before it boot to get to Advanced Startup options, here you chose "Disable automatic restart on system failure"

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Yes it does. I get the error message 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA'. Googled this, most people are saying that it is a RAM issue. I have swapped out the RAM for a different brand and memory amounts, still gettting the BSOD. This is not machine specific, I get the BSOD on a Dell Optiplex 740 as well as a Dell latidute E5400. Going back to my origanal point, image 3 does work when i create a bootable USB stick. Unless the x64 drivers are somehow currupting the image deployment and installation via the network.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Did you have a look at the (mini)dump what was created?

Maybe that will give you the required hint where to search.
    Nice utility for this purpose: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:38 PM
  • I can not look at the dump files as Windows is not even installed fully. This is a clean install via MDT, as mentioned before, I am getting this BSOD screen during the installation on Windows 7. I deployed image 3 (see above) via USB stick on an Optiplex 745, this deployment worked successfully, with NO BSOD. I then checked to see if there were any drivers that were not installed and found that all drivers had been installed (Win7 with its out-of-box drivers that are included in the Win7 installation).

Still a mystery...

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:47 AM
  • I have also disable un-neccessary devices in BIOS, eg. Audio, most of the USB port etc. I have even imported a Hotfix from MS (Windows6.1 - KB951418-x86) in the MDT. THis also did not work.  When i google 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA' most if not all comments are saying its a hardware issue (RAM, video RAM etc) or drivers. But when I deploy the 'Image 3' (see my origanal post)) via a USB stick, it work without any issues, Windows 7 even installs the x32 drivers for it. Given that this works on some computers and not others, I am at a total loss on what to check and do next.   PLEASE HELP!!

Thursday, October 04, 2012 5:35 AM
  • BIOS update did not work. The Windows 7 SP1 x32 installation files that I am using in these task sequence in question, I copied these to a bootable USB stick and installed WIndows successfully. All task sequences with this copy of Windows are failing when Windows starts, does not matter what type of Machine it is.
    Monday, October 08, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Created a brand new TS from scratch and only added the Win7 SP1 x32 as the OS, this failed. I then replace the Win7 SP1 x32 OS with Win7 SP1 x64, this complete without error.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 4:09 AM