none
Event Viewer Custom View

Question

• Hi, 

One of my customer needs to filter event viewer security log for his branch office. Currently he is viewing all the logon/logoff events for entire organization. I referred below URL and created below XML query. I tried using 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.1. But it's not successful. Is it possible to get results for the entire subnet or network (eg. 192.168.1.0).

<QueryList> 
               <Query Id="0"> 
                  <Select Path="Security"> 
                     *[EventData[Data[@Name='IpAddress'] and (Data='192.168.1.20')]] 
                   </Select> 
               </Query> 

</QueryList>

Thanks,
    Thisaru.
    Monday, June 17, 2013 3:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I was thinking about using the wildcards * in XML query as following but it did not work. So I think you cannot query for the entire 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet in XML .

<QueryList>
      <Query Id="0" Path="Security">
        <Select Path="Security">

*[EventData[Data[@Name='IpAddress'] and (Data='192.168.1.*’)]]

</Select>
      </Query>
    </QueryList>

I suggest you also ask in Script forum for XML query related question.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I was thinking about using the wildcards * in XML query as following but it did not work. So I think you cannot query for the entire 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet in XML .

<QueryList>
      <Query Id="0" Path="Security">
        <Select Path="Security">

*[EventData[Data[@Name='IpAddress'] and (Data='192.168.1.*’)]]

</Select>
      </Query>
    </QueryList>

I suggest you also ask in Script forum for XML query related question.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hi, 

One of my customer needs to filter event viewer security log only for his branch office. This is a additional domain controller. Currently he is viewing all the logon/logoff events for entire organization. I referred below URL and created below XML query. I tried using "192.168.1.0" & "192.168.1." to list all the computers related to that branch. But it's not successful. Is it possible to get results for the entire subnet or network (eg. 192.168.1.0). I selected "IpAddress" to filter the data, but if there is any better string for filtering data is available please be kind enough to advice me.

<QueryList> 
               <Query Id="0"> 
                  <Select Path="Security"> 
                     *[EventData[Data[@Name='IpAddress'] and (Data='192.168.1.20')]] 
                   </Select> 
               </Query> 

</QueryList>

Thanks,
    Thisaru.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:22 PM