none
Windows Firewall is turned off

Question

• The SBS Console reports a critical security issue that it identifies as the Windows Firewall being turned off...which it is. When I look at the WFW properties is says that some stuff is controlled by Group Policy and the 'On' radio button is greyed out. I'm behind a hardware firewall, so I'm not too concerned, but I didn't do anything to the GP to turn the WFW off so I'm assuming that Windows has configured it. So why is the console complaining?

TIA

Wayne S. CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ Microsoft MCP www.centralcoastcomputing.com
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:32 PM

Answers

• I think you're missing the point. It seems like Windows Firewall is being configured by Group Policy. The only way to change that would be to edit group policy. Windows doesn't turn the firewall off by itself, either a program was installed or someone disabled it via GP. Since by default the firewall should be left on (although I turn them all off between client/server) Windows complains. Just ignore the complaint or edit group policy to turn the firewall back on if you want. Be aware if you do that Third Party softwares (for example Quickbooks) which need the firewall to be off/need exceptions created might stop working once you do this.
    • Edited by GreenlightTech Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayniack Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:47 AM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Wayne, which computer does the SBS console refer to? The server or one of the client? Does Securiy Center/Windows Firewall on that computer reports the firewall is turned off?

If you are using SBS2008, you can check the following article regarding the similar issue:

SBS2k8 Console Security Tab critical "there are no antivirus products found" for 1 XPsp3 ws, but AV is working! 
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/297ea090-83ea-4484-a0fc-e9c20f7d69f6/

Sean Zhu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hello Sean,

Thanks for your reply. No...this issue is reported on the SBS 2008 server itself. Doubt that DCOM is not enabled but not sure how I would check.

Wayne S. CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ Microsoft MCP www.centralcoastcomputing.com
    Friday, January 06, 2012 11:54 PM
  • run following from an elevated command prompt:

netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on

what happens after this?

Saturday, January 07, 2012 11:58 AM
  • I think you're missing the point. It seems like Windows Firewall is being configured by Group Policy. The only way to change that would be to edit group policy. Windows doesn't turn the firewall off by itself, either a program was installed or someone disabled it via GP. Since by default the firewall should be left on (although I turn them all off between client/server) Windows complains. Just ignore the complaint or edit group policy to turn the firewall back on if you want. Be aware if you do that Third Party softwares (for example Quickbooks) which need the firewall to be off/need exceptions created might stop working once you do this.
    • Edited by GreenlightTech Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayniack Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:47 AM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Thanks, GT...that may be the ticket. We do have Quickbooks installed as well as Symantec Endpoint Protection for Small Businesses (not sure if that's a potential perp or not). I'm not really concerned with WF being turned off, but was just puzzled that it's been done through GP...which I didn't explicitly do. Also, I'd like to turn off the alerts since I don't give a hang that it's off.

Cheers,

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:46 AM