none
Change order of applications, task sequences?

Question

• Back in MDT 2010 I was able to download a third party tool to reorder the applications and task sequences in order of priority when imaging. The tool does not work in MDT 2012 Update 1. Any advice?
    Monday, March 31, 2014 6:53 PM

Answers

• It might be worth mentioning which 3rd party tool you were using. Not knowing what it does makes it difficult to suggest an alternative.

However, reordering applications and task sequences can be done without any 3rd party tools.

Depending on how you're installing the applications, you can do one of the following:

• If you're installing the applications via the generic "Install multiple applications" task, then the order of the applications is specified in the CustomSettings.ini. Just re-number the Applications00x lines.
    • If you're installing applications individually via the "Install a single application" task, then you can simply use the Up and Down buttons at the top of the Task Sequence page to reorder them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by reordering task sequences, maybe you mean reordering sections within the CustomSettings.ini file which then call the appropriate TaskSequenceID?

If so, the value "Priority", which is under the [Settings] section, will define the priority of the sections to process. You can simply edit this line and rearrange the priorities. Separate them with commas

• Marked as answer by heid4055 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Yea, that's me. I haven't updated that tool in a while

There are *two* kinds of application ordering:

1. Where application X needs to be installed *before* application Y. If so use the dependencies option in the applications entry page in the Deployment Console. This is the only way to ensure applications are installed in any specific order.

2. However if you want the applications to *appear* in a specific order in the Deployment Wizard, then you can use the MDT2010Ordering.zip tool to perform this task.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5407B03614346A99%211777

Note, all it does is re-order the GUID entries in the ApplicationGroups.xml file. And the tool achieves this by opening up powershell and moving entries around the given application folder. That forces the application to re-order.

I guess it still works for MDT 2013 (whew)

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:38 PM

All replies

• It might be worth mentioning which 3rd party tool you were using. Not knowing what it does makes it difficult to suggest an alternative.

However, reordering applications and task sequences can be done without any 3rd party tools.

Depending on how you're installing the applications, you can do one of the following:

• If you're installing the applications via the generic "Install multiple applications" task, then the order of the applications is specified in the CustomSettings.ini. Just re-number the Applications00x lines.
    • If you're installing applications individually via the "Install a single application" task, then you can simply use the Up and Down buttons at the top of the Task Sequence page to reorder them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by reordering task sequences, maybe you mean reordering sections within the CustomSettings.ini file which then call the appropriate TaskSequenceID?

If so, the value "Priority", which is under the [Settings] section, will define the priority of the sections to process. You can simply edit this line and rearrange the priorities. Separate them with commas

• Marked as answer by heid4055 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Yea, that's me. I haven't updated that tool in a while

There are *two* kinds of application ordering:

1. Where application X needs to be installed *before* application Y. If so use the dependencies option in the applications entry page in the Deployment Console. This is the only way to ensure applications are installed in any specific order.

2. However if you want the applications to *appear* in a specific order in the Deployment Wizard, then you can use the MDT2010Ordering.zip tool to perform this task.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5407B03614346A99%211777

Note, all it does is re-order the GUID entries in the ApplicationGroups.xml file. And the tool achieves this by opening up powershell and moving entries around the given application folder. That forces the application to re-order.

I guess it still works for MDT 2013 (whew)

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:38 PM