none
Can a standalone computer use IRM?

Question

• Bewildered by all the publications on WRM/AD-RM.  Many an MS document suggests that options ought to appear in MSOffice 2007 applications to permit restriction/expiration/etc., with nary a hint of a requirement beyond Vista, in which "WRM is already integrated".  No such commands/controls/options in fact appear as stipulated in any MSOffice application.  No particularly obvious switch in "Windows Options on/off".  Environment: Vista Ultimate 64bit / MSOffice 2007, not a member of a domain, not a MSExchange user; home network VNC'd to office via Hamachi.  I thought there was an MS-provided reference server to confirm access to a restricted doc, allowing "deployment" to an individual or home-networked PC?  What am I missing?  Is there no way outside of a server environment to (for example) forbid forwarding of an email? 

General objective, in respect of (say) other user accounts or emailed documents subject to forwarding:  restrict unauthorized access, forwarding, printing, tampering, copying.

Thanks...

Schooner

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:04 AM

Answers

• Sorry about your frustration.

What version of Office 2007 are you using? You must be using Office Ultimate 2007, Office Enterprise 2007, or Office Professional Plus 2007 to be able to use IRM to protect a document.

Secondly, your computer must be part of a network where Rights Management Services (either Windows Rights Management Services running on Windows Server 2003, or Active Directory Rights Management Services on Windows Server 2008 and later) to use IRM to control access your documents. RMS is the service that ensures that only the users you authorize to do so can access documents you've protected.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

Jim Groves Sr. Technical Writer, Server & Cloud Division, Microsoft
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• Sorry about your frustration.

What version of Office 2007 are you using? You must be using Office Ultimate 2007, Office Enterprise 2007, or Office Professional Plus 2007 to be able to use IRM to protect a document.

Secondly, your computer must be part of a network where Rights Management Services (either Windows Rights Management Services running on Windows Server 2003, or Active Directory Rights Management Services on Windows Server 2008 and later) to use IRM to control access your documents. RMS is the service that ensures that only the users you authorize to do so can access documents you've protected.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi Jim, very clear explanation! Thank you! 

Is there then a way a stand alone Outlook user can forbid his outgoing email messages from being forwarded / copied / printed, similar to the controls under RMS in a network environment?

Very thankfually yours,

Way

Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Hi, Way,

It just so happens that Outlook supports "do not forward" natively; that is, it doesn't rely on RMS for this function. However, only Outlook will enforce this restriction for the recipient, so you can rely on it only if all recipients use Outlook as their mail client.

• Proposed as answer by Jim Groves Monday, January 17, 2011 5:24 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:24 AM
  • (And another belated "thanks for the clear answer" to Jim Groves)... indeed my MSOL is per MSO2007Pro, but environment is standalone - no server.

Jim - If MSOL2007 has native support for DoNotFwd --- how?

I see options for delay-delivery and expire-after, but not DoNotFwd.

Is it an undisclosed property of the "sensitivity" setting - normal/personal/private/confidential?

/Schooner

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Thanks to the contributors on this forum.

I'm new to IRM/RMS. I have installed Office 2010 Professional Plus on my computer, but attempts to protect a document make it obvious that I need to set up RMS on server or my only option would be to require others to set up Windows Live accounts.

On my server (Server 2003 R2) I installed Windows Rights Management Services SP1 and SP2, which were downloaded from Microsoft. They appear to have installed, but I have no idea how to access it, use it, or even how to know if it's now running on my server.

Documentation of this feature and its use is very poor. Any replies of assistance would be appreciated.

Don

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:06 PM