none
Change Data Capture - changing target server

Question

• Hello

We are changing the target server, the existing one is being decommissioned. What are the steps I should take on the source server for Change Data Capture. It is currently set up on one database for 30 tables.

i.e.: should I disable? create new target. Re-enable? Can I script this out?

What is the best way to got about this? And how can I not impact the source server now?

Thanks!

Paula

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Paula,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Do you use SSIS packages that include related tasks/components to implement the CDC operations? If so, there should be two packages involved: an Initial Load package that will read all of the data in the source table, and an Incremental Load package that will process change data on subsequent runs. If you change the destination server, you don’t need to change the CDC feature on the source tables, you only need to modify the destination server in the Initial Load package, and rerun this package before running the Incremental Load package. For more information about how to implement CDC in SSIS 2012, please see:
    http://www.mattmasson.com/2011/12/cdc-in-ssis-for-sql-server-2012-2/ 

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 07, 2014 2:06 AM