none
Install Windows 2012 on VM and promote to Domain Controller

Answers

• No, but then if they have access to the internet they also have access to the network.

You can from what I remember change the network type quite easily, so you could for instance set them to use NAT networking initially, install the base install, download and install the updates and then change the networking to lock things down. It obviously makes it more hassle if you later want to update them, but it's probably the best way to ensure they can't interfere with anything on the network, or do something like accidentally send out email if you decided to experiment with something mail enabled.

At the end of the day I guess it depends on how concerned you are about what you're experimenting with, eg the risk of it interfering with network devices, and the loss of functionality. At home I allow my guests access to the internet since I have no other machines on my network, at work though the testing network is completely disconnected from the network and internet. If we need to install updates we have to download them, transfer them to the guest and install them.

• Marked as answer by Alex Dove Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:32 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:00 PM

All replies

• It shouldn't do as long as you ensure it's not configured to run on the same network range as the actual network. To be safe though it's probably best to configure the networking to use either Internal networking or host-only networking, on that server and any test vm's that'll be connecting to it, so they can talk to each other (and the host with host-only) but not to the network. There's a full breakdown of the various virtualbox network types here http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html and someone's done a decent guide for setting up a virtual AD network in virtualbox here http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/6821-creating-a-domain-network-in-a-test-environment-using-virtualbox
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Ok, so if I use host-only adapter will I still have internet connectivity to download updates and such?
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:50 PM
  • No, but then if they have access to the internet they also have access to the network.

You can from what I remember change the network type quite easily, so you could for instance set them to use NAT networking initially, install the base install, download and install the updates and then change the networking to lock things down. It obviously makes it more hassle if you later want to update them, but it's probably the best way to ensure they can't interfere with anything on the network, or do something like accidentally send out email if you decided to experiment with something mail enabled.

At the end of the day I guess it depends on how concerned you are about what you're experimenting with, eg the risk of it interfering with network devices, and the loss of functionality. At home I allow my guests access to the internet since I have no other machines on my network, at work though the testing network is completely disconnected from the network and internet. If we need to install updates we have to download them, transfer them to the guest and install them.

• Marked as answer by Alex Dove Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:32 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I like that method very much. I have already setup my shared folder and validated it works. So if I use the "host-only" network type then my VM will be completely disconnected or inaccessible from our work network? If so, this would indeed be my option of choice.

Thanks,

Alex

Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Yes that's right. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I last used the setup in virtualbox) your local machine will get a virtualbox nic appear, through which you can connect to the VM's from your local machine only.
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:28 PM