none
Complete MDX Newbie Help Requested

Question

• Hi,

I just inherited an application that includes a connection being made to an Analysis Services instance using  AdomdConnection and I really don't understand what is actually happening behind the scenes.

I'm a well-experienced C# programmer having written scores of applications that access SQL Server, Oracle & MySql, but do not see how this particular connection is being established or accessed.  I could use some help in direction to some documentation that would help or simply fill me in as possible.

This is a web application and the definition of the connection is in the appSettings section as follows with sanitized names:

<add key="csOLAP" value="Provider=msolap.3;Datasource=TESTSERVER;Initial Catalog=TestCatalog" />

When I log into the TESTSERVER, I can see that Analysis Services are running and can connect to Analysis Services on that system successfully using SqlServer Mgmt Studio  However, there are NO databases listed in SQLMgmtStudio and when connecting to the Dasebase Engine, there is no database called TestCatalog.

I did find a directory on that server called "C:\SQLDataFiles\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\TestCatalog.0.db" containing numerous xml files, but I have no idea how that corresponds or is connected to the Initial Catalog specified in the connection string.

Can anyone assist on this or point me in the right direction to locate documentation that will explain what I am seeing?

Appreciate any assistance.

- Jim

Friday, October 04, 2013 10:34 PM

Answers

• I figured out what was happening - Sql Server Mgmt Server needs to be run as an Administrator.  Once I did that, the database showed up and all was good with the world....

• Marked as answer by Jim_O Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:41 PM
    Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:27 AM