none
How does a non-domain joined Outlook client determine Internal MAPI vs External HTTPS access?

Question

• This is for Exchange 2010 fyi.

Does it try to resolve the MAPI address? Does it try to access Active Directory?

I tried removing the MAPI address (CAS Array) from DNS but it's still trying that address for internal access... what else could it be looking for? We do not have split DNS so we are trying to prevent external clients from waiting waiting waiting, and then timing out.

• Edited by jkmancuso Friday, September 13, 2013 2:16 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For your question, in Exchange 2010 Server, Providers are components that are specifically related to the type of client that is trying to connect and be configured.

For the external Outlook Client, Outlook use EXPR provider, the EXPR setting references the Exchange HTTP protocol that is used by Outlook Anywhere i.e. RPC over HTTP. This setting includes the external URLs, which are used by clients that access Exchange from the Internet.

And could you be more specific about the issue you came across? Any error message is returned, I mean how did you find out the Outlook was accessing through MAPI address?

Regards,

Rebecca

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your question, in Exchange 2010 Server, Providers are components that are specifically related to the type of client that is trying to connect and be configured.

For the external Outlook Client, Outlook use EXPR provider, the EXPR setting references the Exchange HTTP protocol that is used by Outlook Anywhere i.e. RPC over HTTP. This setting includes the external URLs, which are used by clients that access Exchange from the Internet.

And could you be more specific about the issue you came across? Any error message is returned, I mean how did you find out the Outlook was accessing through MAPI address?

Regards,

Rebecca

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Adding to Rebecca,

Please read this blog for more information on how Outlook Anywhere works

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/06/20/3405633.aspx

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:32 AM