none
Define DimensionAttribute type in the SSAS CUBE when using MDX function YTD()

Question

• hi there:

I am trying to use YTD() in mdx and am aware that I need to first define dimDate to Time type and define each dimensionAttribute to appropriate type. HOwever, I am very confused by the large amount of selections in the Type dropdown list.

For example, I have a dimenionAttribute called [S Week Of Year] and in the type, there are two sections Calendar and Fiscal under Date and each contains week type, which one should I choose? Also is there any reference where I could learn to pick the right type? 

thanks

--Currently using Reporting Service 2000; Visual Studio .NET 2003; Visual Source Safe SSIS 2008 SSAS 2008, SVN --

Friday, July 04, 2014 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Cat_ca,

The value of the Type property for an attribute determines the attribute type, and specifies the type of information contained by that attribute. Many of the available options represent types which are used by client applications to display or support an attribute. Attribute types in Analysis Services fall in into five categorized groups. These attribute type groups include:

• General: These values are available to all attributes, and exist only to enable classification of attributes for client application purposes.
    • Account Dimension: These values identify an attribute that belongs to an account dimension.
    • Currency Dimension: These values identify an attribute that belongs to a currency dimension.
    • Slowly Changing: These values identify an attribute that belongs to a slowly changing dimension.
    • Time Dimension: These values identify an attribute that belongs to a time dimension.

Please refer to the link below to see the details.
    http://beyondrelational.com/modules/2/blogs/65/posts/11577/ssas-dimension-attribute-properties-part-1.aspx

Besides, here is a similar issue SSAS YTD issue Calendar vs. Fiscal for your reference.
    http://www.bidn.com/forums/microsoft-business-intelligence/analysis-services/1435/ssas-ytd-issue-calendar-vs-fiscal

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 6:21 AM