none
Unable to remove DPM agent from failed SQL Cluster Node

Question

• Hello Guys,

I have a problem uninstalling / removing the failed SQL Cluster node from DPM 2010.

I had Active / Active SQL Cluster with two nodes and one of the node failed so i moved both the SQL instances were active on working node.

I installed a fresh Server and joined that as SQL node with the same name and identification as the previous failed node but now i can't remove the failed node record from DPM 2010 even if i use the command, please check the screeenshots attached.

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:55 AM

Answers

• You should try to change the retention settings in order for the data to fit into the remaining space on your disks.

Maybe you should also do some fine tuning during the PG creation are try to make the replica and recovery points volumes as accurate as possible.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

as the new second node as the same name than the old one. Did you try to install the agent on it and refresh its status inside the Management Node of the console?

Also, it's possible DPM is confused with the Cluster.

Could you try to remove the Protection Group that contains the database hosted on the Cluster (don't forget to retain the data) and then delete the reference to the old agent using the PowerShell command. Now add your new agent and re-do your PG. That should work.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:23 PM
  • yes, the new node is with the same old name and i did try to install DPM agent manually and attaching it on DPM but it doesnt work. So i will try to stop the protection groups and retain data then delete this agent but do i need to recreate the protection group with the same old settings? Regards, Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Yes you will need to recreate the PG but you don't have to choose to select the same old settings (but if you have planned something in the beginning it should be wise to use the same :))
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Problem is there is no much disk space for the short term backup so if i create a new PG it will create a new set of recovery point for the whole group, isnt it.

So i just want to make sure that i can recreate the PG and just increment the recovery point on the existing data, is this possible?

Regards,

Maqsood

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:27 AM
  • The retained data will integrate into your new PG. You won't have to create a full replica or anything. Only a consistency check will be needed to make sure DPM data is up to date.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

After stopping the protection group i was able to delete the corrupted agent but when i am trying to recreate the protection group with the same settings DPM doesn't allow me as there isn't enough space to create the protection group, please suggest.

Regards,

Maqsood

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:45 PM
  • You should try to change the retention settings in order for the data to fit into the remaining space on your disks.

Maybe you should also do some fine tuning during the PG creation are try to make the replica and recovery points volumes as accurate as possible.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:53 PM