none
MDT 2010 "Extra Directory to Add" question

Question

• Hello,

I have a few utilites i'd like to add to the litetouch boot image on my deployment server.

I created a folder called "ExtraFiles\Windows\System32" and placed desired utilities inside (trace32.exe, etc...).

In MDT 2010, going to "properites" of deployment share, then selecting "Windows PE x64 Settings" tab, there is a place at the bottom of the window called "Extra Directory to Add". 

My question is, in order to get the utilites embedded in the WinPE Windows\System32 folder, do I just place the path to "DriveLetter:\ExtraFiles\", or do I need to be specific and place "DriveLetter:\ExtraFiles\Windows\System32"?

I think I alraedy know the answer to this question, but want to hear it from someone who already does this.

thanks

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

• You want to specify F:\ExtraFiles, assuming F:\ExtraFiles\Windows\System32 contains files that you want added to the X:\Windows\System32 folder of the Windows PE image.

We effectively XCOPY the contents of the folder to the root of the Windows PE boot image.

-Michael Niehaus
     Senior Software Development Engineer
     mniehaus@microsoft.com
     http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus

• Marked as answer by flayofish Friday, May 28, 2010 1:01 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:47 AM

All replies

• You want to specify F:\ExtraFiles, assuming F:\ExtraFiles\Windows\System32 contains files that you want added to the X:\Windows\System32 folder of the Windows PE image.

We effectively XCOPY the contents of the folder to the root of the Windows PE boot image.

-Michael Niehaus
     Senior Software Development Engineer
     mniehaus@microsoft.com
     http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus

• Marked as answer by flayofish Friday, May 28, 2010 1:01 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Hey Mike,

I have a related question on this subject. What is the best way to handle the "Extra Directory to Add" feature if you have multiple deployment points that you are replicating out from a central server? I manage MDT 2010 deployment points across the country at multiple sites and I've set up the same "Extra Directory" settings on each server. I get the following error when updating the boot files from my central replication server:

WARNING: Requested file or folder 'E:\MDTProduction\Extra Files\Windows_PE_x86' could not be found.

Its obvious the error is that it can't find the specified path on the target server. In this case I assume because the "Extra Files" path on my replicating server and my target server are different, for example:

Source "Extra Files" Path: 'D:\MDTProduction\Extra Files\Windows_PE_x86'

Target "Extra Files" Path: 'E:\MDTProduction\Extra Files\Windows_PE_x86'

What I want to know is; is there any way to fix this? I've tried using UNC paths (\\<MyServerName>\MDTProduction$\Extra Files\Windows_PE_x86) but that errors out on me as well. Is logging into each target server and updating the deployment share manually my only solution here?

Monday, July 05, 2010 5:07 AM
  • You may have figured this out by now, but I ran into a similar problem which I resolved by using the %DEPLOYROOT% variable in the path for the extra directory, e.g., %DEPLOYROOT%\Tools\Windows\System32. This puts any files in the source folder into the System32 folder on the WinPE boot disk.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:50 PM