none
Cannot connect to (local) - tried few solutions in the forum here but still...

Question

• I installed SQL server 2008 express on stand alone alone laptop.

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------
    Cannot connect to (local).
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476
    BUTTONS:
    OK

I tried giving the below values but no change.

.\SQLExpress

OR

<ComputerName>\SQLExpress where <computerName> is name of the host computer

• Edited by Swapa9 Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:43 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Saeid, I installed SQL server 2008 express on stand alone alone laptop.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi Swapa9,

It is really generic message SQL server which it not able to reach the specified server.

Can check whether your SQL Server Express edition is running.

Under run command type - > services.msc and check Name as Sql server Express, whether its status is started.

I hope the instance name you are using is correct, but in sure name also gives you are instance name in brackets.

Regards Harsh

• Edited by Harsh Kumar Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:23 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:22 AM
  • I dont have SQL server express service running in my services.msc

While i try to set it on by doing this :

1. Click Start, click Programs, and then click SQL Server 2008.
    2. Click Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    3. Expand SQL Server 2008 Services.
    4. Locate the SQL Server Agent service. The SQL Server Agent service is named "SQL Server Agent" for default instances and is named "SQL Server Agent (<var>Instance name</var>)" for named instances.
    5. Right-click SQL Server Agent, and then click Properties.

I don't find the 'properties' itself. Right click on SQL server services shows - open, view, refrsh, export etc but not property. 

Could my installation be faulty ?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Yup, i believe so, if there is successfully installation of sql server, you might have seen a service for sql server express and configuration manager should able to detect it, can you try  reinstalling it.

Regards Harsh

Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:04 AM
  • I reinstalled the SQL server R2 express edition. This is on stand alone personal laptop for practice.

I can now see the SQL server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) in SQL server configuration manager but its in disabled state. some people in the forum say no SQL server agent for express edition.

how will I install database and be able to make this work ?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I think I fixed it. I can connect to SQL server on personal laptop. thanks all for responding.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:26 PM
  • I reinstalled the SQL server R2 express edition. This is on stand alone personal laptop for practice.

I can now see the SQL server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) in SQL server configuration manager but its in disabled state. some people in the forum say no SQL server agent for express edition.

how will I install database and be able to make this work ?

Hello,

Yes.SQL Server Express doesn't include SQL Server Agent.
    If you want to create database and run query on the database, you can try to download and install SQL Server Management Studio. It provider a GUI tool that you can connect SQL Server instance and execute operation.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Agent Services in SQL Server Express will not work.diabsled by default.

• Check TCP./IP setting in your SQL Server
    • SQL Server is runinig or not
    • check your firewall setting for 1433 port is opened or blocked

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:09 AM