none
Create a Data WareHouse from multiple disconnected sources

Question

• Hello Experts,

I need your help on this situation

I have multiple Databases in disconnected sources (Hospital Branches), each Hospital has own Database, i need to build a BI Solution ( Business Intelligence  Dashboard) from the multiple sources, the Idea is to create a data warehouse to centralize the data in one Database.

what is the best solution for this situation.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:50 AM

Answers

• I have worked in similar situation. We can choose one of following options

1- we can Use replication, Tables will be replicated when  data source will come online and will be accessible to center data warehouse.

2- If disconnected data source can not come online ever or they are not allowing to configure replication then we can Use Backup/Restore of Databases, Physical backup can be taken and uploaded on FTP. Central Data warehouse systems will execute SSIS package to download files and restore and fetch updated records.

It is not matter of good option or bad option. It depends upon which option fits in your scenario.

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:02 AM

All replies

• I have worked in similar situation. We can choose one of following options

1- we can Use replication, Tables will be replicated when  data source will come online and will be accessible to center data warehouse.

2- If disconnected data source can not come online ever or they are not allowing to configure replication then we can Use Backup/Restore of Databases, Physical backup can be taken and uploaded on FTP. Central Data warehouse systems will execute SSIS package to download files and restore and fetch updated records.

It is not matter of good option or bad option. It depends upon which option fits in your scenario.

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:02 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

Replication maybe will not work for me.

the problem is the disconnected data sources each one has a different schema, so i need to get data form and extract data to the my common data warehouse schema.

Regards.

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:21 AM