none
Licencing question - Enterprise organization

General discussion

• Hello

I work in an Enterprise organization with 3000+ servers and 13000 workstations.

We want to migrate from WinXp to Win7 PRO. 

currently our technical department purchases OEM workstations with Win8 PRO.

After we get the PCs we downgrade them from Win8 to Win7 Pro using our own made Image that we created using an ISO image we downloaded from Volume Licensing Service Center website. The workstations are then activated with our organization KMS server.

My questions are as follow:

Is is legit to make the described downgrade?

is it legit to use Win7 PRO in enterprise company?

Is it legit to buy OEM but use the image we make with Win7 PRO?

please advise

TH

Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like suggest you to make a call to Microsoft Support for License issue.

Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS)

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:26 AM
  • I would highly recommend that you contact Microsoft Support regarding any licensing issues to make sure you are in compliance with your site license terms.

As far as downgrading to windows 7, it is a wise decision. Trying to teach 13000 users how to navigate Windows 8 might give you nightmares. Windows 7 is widely accepted, I would use the Enterprise version instead of the PRO version for ease of licensing.But contact Microsoft Support for more information for sure.

Mark D. Albin, M.S. IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com  Office: (775) 229-4254

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:44 AM
  • I did contact Microsoft. it takes them too long to answer.

thanks for your reply.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:43 AM
  • I would contact the folks you bought the software from and check with them. Its better to make sure you are in compliance :)

Mark D. Albin, M.S. IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com Office: (775) 229-4254

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:23 PM