none
help seting usb as paging file.

Question

• how do i set usb as paging file if the usb isant showing up in the vertual memory settings
    i am trying to use a kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flashdrive = http://www.quill.com/kingston-flash-drives/cbs/346817.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_T_346817
    im also useing windows 7 64bit home premium
    btw i want to do this so my hard drive isn't being used as much and i dont need more ram cause i have 8gb.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your post, I know that you want to set your USB memory with page file, so that you can use your hard drive more sufficiently without page file settings.

Normally, When the memory being used by all the existing processes exceeds the available RAM, the operating system moves pages (4-KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk. This frees that RAM frame for other uses. Although there are general recommendations about page file sizing that are based on the amount of physical RAM in a system, this is not 100% valid. 

As you said, you have enough RAM on your computer, the more memory you have, the less likely you are to need page data out. Meanwhile, Windows just can create page file in IDE/SATA/RAID hard disk but not in USB.

For detailed information about Page file, you can refer to following article:

RAM, virtual memory, pagefile, and memory management in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2160852/en-us

Hope it can be helpful and keep post!

Best Regards, StarSprite

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:45 AM

All replies

• instead, maybe try ReadyBoost ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:22 AM
  • im pretty sure that readyboost dosent work without pageing file.

thanks for the suggestion.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

From your post, I know that you want to set your USB memory with page file, so that you can use your hard drive more sufficiently without page file settings.

Normally, When the memory being used by all the existing processes exceeds the available RAM, the operating system moves pages (4-KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk. This frees that RAM frame for other uses. Although there are general recommendations about page file sizing that are based on the amount of physical RAM in a system, this is not 100% valid. 

As you said, you have enough RAM on your computer, the more memory you have, the less likely you are to need page data out. Meanwhile, Windows just can create page file in IDE/SATA/RAID hard disk but not in USB.

For detailed information about Page file, you can refer to following article:

RAM, virtual memory, pagefile, and memory management in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2160852/en-us

Hope it can be helpful and keep post!

Best Regards, StarSprite

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:45 AM
  • thank you for your suggestion

but i guess my next question would be is there a way to trick windows into thinking a usb is a harddrive so i don't have to go out and spend money on a ssd? and if there is a way would there be a problem(crash, error, ex.) if it was accidentally unplugged from the computer?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

First, please know that there are significant differences between a standard hard drive and flash memory. A hard drive is a fairly heavy palm-sized device composed of several spinning platters and a roving head that reads data that has been magnetically imprinted on the platters. Flash memory refers to a memory chip about the size of a postage stamp, or smaller. The memory chip is solid-state, or has no moving parts.

So, we cannot use the flash drive as a hard drive. But we can consider it as SSD with USB host interface.

Thanks and hope this can be helpful.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:39 AM
  • i know what a hard drive is hand how it work and i know what it looks like on the inside. and couldnt i put the paging file on a ssd what would be the difference there other than the controller?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

First, please know that there are significant differences between a standard hard drive and flash memory. A hard drive is a fairly heavy palm-sized device composed of several spinning platters and a roving head that reads data that has been magnetically imprinted on the platters. Flash memory refers to a memory chip about the size of a postage stamp, or smaller. The memory chip is solid-state, or has no moving parts.

So, we cannot use the flash drive as a hard drive. But we can consider it as SSD with USB host interface.

Thanks and hope this can be helpful.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Sorry i was looking for the same questions the original poster was asking about, when i came across this answer.

How belittling and condescending can you be, his question was about tricking the computer into thinking his flash drive was a Hard Drive. This is obviously not a simple solution (But it can be done), but you replied by stating the physical differences between the two and giving the conclusion that those differences were the reason why it can not be done.

He obviously knows the differences between each storage device, otherwise he wouldn't have used the three different types of mass storage by name.

You basically stated the obvious, that you can't put the square block in the triangle hole. 

If this is what "Tech Help" has become, then God save us.

• Edited by DivineCloud Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:19 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:38 AM