none
Server 2003, running raid 5, missing MBR/unable to boot...

Question

• Hello Microsoft,

We had a power circuit failure which prevented the airconditioning from working and therefor overheating our DC1!! and killing the other DC2 completely!

When we start DC1 it wants to load windows files and then you can choose some options like Recovery from an earlier functional state, CMD, and so on.
    Our problem is actually that in the beginning is said:
    "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" however when we put in our Windows server 2003 disk, wait for it to load everything and the press R for repair it comes up with following:
    "No valid system partitions were found, Setup is unable to continue"

What on earth can we do to either do a chkdsk or fixmbr command from here to fix the MBR corruption or BOOT.INI file that seems like missing?

Currently we have no logon server (AD) because the BDC died 100%!

Additional when we boot and press F8 to see the disk state it we can see it says:
    "Raid 5, all disks: OK"

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

it could be your raid adapter needs specific drivers for it to work. That might be the reason recovery media cannot find the windows installation. You might be able to perform chkdks if you boot using vendor supplied recovery media.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560355(v=vs.85).aspx shows some troubleshooting information on the bsod you encounter. This  errror might occur due to changes in the disk or controller configuration (or of course plain disk corruption). If you changed anything physicaly on the server, revert those changes.

I would suggest you contact Microsoft support directly for help on your urgent issue!

It also might be worth contacting the hardware vendor for support.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

it could be your raid adapter needs specific drivers for it to work. That might be the reason recovery media cannot find the windows installation. You might be able to perform chkdks if you boot using vendor supplied recovery media.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560355(v=vs.85).aspx shows some troubleshooting information on the bsod you encounter. This  errror might occur due to changes in the disk or controller configuration (or of course plain disk corruption). If you changed anything physicaly on the server, revert those changes.

I would suggest you contact Microsoft support directly for help on your urgent issue!

It also might be worth contacting the hardware vendor for support.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Thank you for your reply so fast, we / I will look into it right away! I hope its "only" the raid controller thats bad, and thats the reason why it cannot find any windows on the disks.

I will reply again later when we have reworked with these new information...

P.S. other suggestions are welcome as well still.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:26 AM