none
Windows Server 2003 CALs

Question

• Is there any way to check how many user CALs are installed on Windows Server 2003 SBE? I have a server that I'm trying to upgrade, and I need to know how many user CALs are on it.

I've tried going to the Licensing icon in Control Panel, as a previous poster recommended, but it just tells me to run a wizard to install more CALs. It doesn't tell me how many are already installed.

Thanks for your help.

• Moved by Brent Hu Friday, April 01, 2011 2:31 AM (From:General)
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• Then the information I provided should show you your licensing status, specifically on SBS 2003. This is also where you would add additional CALs.

To add: SBS 2003 CALs are no longer available. You may find some still in stock with some vendors but if not you can buy SBS 2008/2011 CALs and use downgrade rights as per the article below. It would be advantageous to buy the 2011 CALs as you could use them on a replacement 2011 server if you ever replace and retire the SBS 2003 server.

From: http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

Q. How do I obtain CALs for earlier versions of Windows Small Business Server when they are discontinued?

A. If you need additional SBS 2008 Standard CALs, you will need to purchase Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suites and use your downgrade rights. However, if you need additional SBS 2008 Premium CALs, they will remain on the price lists for a period of time. This is due to the fact that the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on does not include the same components that are in 2008 Premium and therefore the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suites do not offer downgrade rights.

Q. If I want to downgrade SBS 2008 to SBS 2003, how will CAL activation work in that scenario since SBS 2008 will not need any CAL activation but SBS 2003 does?

A. If you have purchased SBS 2008 CALs and need to downgrade to SBS 2003 CALs, please use the following product key to activate your SBS 2003 CALs: KJQBH-XJ6YQ-THYJY-PVDCP-87QT6

Rob Williams
    Friday, April 01, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to SBS (Small Business Server) go to server management | home page | licensing

This will show you # of installed licenses, maximum number used (since last reboot), and the license codes currently installed. There are 5 installed with the original O/S that do not show under license codes.

This only applies to SBS 2003

Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Christopher I am not sure why Brent Hu moved your thread to this topic area as there is no such thing as Small Business Server Essentials 2003, but it would be good if you could confirm if by SBE you are referring to Small Business Server 2003. I assumed you meant Small Business Edition.
    Rob Williams
    Friday, April 01, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, it's Small Business Server 2003.
    Friday, April 01, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for the answer. I'll check that out next time I'm on site & I'll let you know.
    Friday, April 01, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Then the information I provided should show you your licensing status, specifically on SBS 2003. This is also where you would add additional CALs.

To add: SBS 2003 CALs are no longer available. You may find some still in stock with some vendors but if not you can buy SBS 2008/2011 CALs and use downgrade rights as per the article below. It would be advantageous to buy the 2011 CALs as you could use them on a replacement 2011 server if you ever replace and retire the SBS 2003 server.

From: http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

Q. How do I obtain CALs for earlier versions of Windows Small Business Server when they are discontinued?

A. If you need additional SBS 2008 Standard CALs, you will need to purchase Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suites and use your downgrade rights. However, if you need additional SBS 2008 Premium CALs, they will remain on the price lists for a period of time. This is due to the fact that the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on does not include the same components that are in 2008 Premium and therefore the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suites do not offer downgrade rights.

Q. If I want to downgrade SBS 2008 to SBS 2003, how will CAL activation work in that scenario since SBS 2008 will not need any CAL activation but SBS 2003 does?

A. If you have purchased SBS 2008 CALs and need to downgrade to SBS 2003 CALs, please use the following product key to activate your SBS 2003 CALs: KJQBH-XJ6YQ-THYJY-PVDCP-87QT6

Rob Williams
    Friday, April 01, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi There,

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 STD with only 5 CALs and I would like to add it more CALs.

Is the solution above will work for me also ?

Thank you

Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Server std is a completely different product. Downgrade rights are available in some cases but I don't think you can buy 2011 CALs and downgrade to server 2003. Your best bet would be to contact a Microsoft licensing reseller in your area.
    Rob Williams
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Hi, Rob. The product key you gave installed successfully, but it added 20 licenses to my 2003 sbs. Is there a different key available that adds only 5 licenses?
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Drmeg there is only the one key code that I am aware of. That comes directly from the Microsoft SBS licensing document. Newer SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 work strictly on an honor system. You do not enter a key at all but rather you are required to maintain the documentation verifying you are compliant. Perhaps that is the intent with the downgrade key you used as well. I have not personally used the key.
    Rob Williams
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:53 AM