none
file server needs to be replaced

Question

• thanks for the time.

I'm in a bit of a bind.  Need to replace our file server.  The concern is that it is part of a DFS service.  It is the root server.  I am guessing I cannot just go in and create a new file server and add it in.  My initial thought process was to shutdown the failing file server and bring up the second one with the same name.  But I am thinking that wont work.  Will using the File Server Migration toolkit work better? Also I want to keep the same root target name.  For example I have fileserver01 as the root DFS target for all the DFS shares. How do I go about keeping that?  Renaming fileserver02 to 01 will not work?

Thank you again.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:22 PM

Answers

• If this is a domain-based DFS namespace, then it's pretty easy. Create the new server (with a different name), and add it to the DFS replication group. It should then be automatically added as a folder target in the DFS namespace(s). If your current server is the only Namespace server for the DFS namespaces, then add the new server as an additional namespace server. Once that is complete and replication has finished, you can remove the old server from the replication group and namespace and power down the server.

If this is a standalone namespace, it is more difficult. It may be worth considering moving to a domain-based namespace - it's a bit more work now, but you can save yourself trouble later on if you need to replace the server again.

Mike

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:45 AM

All replies

• If this is a domain-based DFS namespace, then it's pretty easy. Create the new server (with a different name), and add it to the DFS replication group. It should then be automatically added as a folder target in the DFS namespace(s). If your current server is the only Namespace server for the DFS namespaces, then add the new server as an additional namespace server. Once that is complete and replication has finished, you can remove the old server from the replication group and namespace and power down the server.

If this is a standalone namespace, it is more difficult. It may be worth considering moving to a domain-based namespace - it's a bit more work now, but you can save yourself trouble later on if you need to replace the server again.

Mike

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:45 AM
  • so it looks like the file server is just a member server and does not hold the DFSRoots.  It just holds the target links. For example:  adatum\dfs\legal points to \\fs01\legal folder.  therefore rebuilding FS01 shouldnt be a concern just have to extract the registry key for lanman server shares and I should be ok...right? :) 
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:38 PM
  • If you need to rebuild FS01, remove it from DFS namespace when FS02 is added and everything is replicated correctly. After rebuilding FS01, add it back just like you did on FS02.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:12 AM