none
SBS 2011 and backup Exchange server

Question

• Hi to all,

these days I was thinking about some exchange backup server. So not a Exchange backup solution but entire server that will take the role of a exchange if something happens with SBS 2011 so that people in organization should be able to receive e-mails. I know that SBS is very strict about giving roles to other server but I am not sure about coexistance with second exchange server.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks and have a nice day :)

Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:32 AM

Answers

• sounds like you want a DAG (Database Availability Group).

Requires 2 copies of Server Enterprise (for the cluster) and 2 additional copies of Exchange. (because the copy on SBS cannot participate in the cluster).

Easier just to try not to break SBS.

• Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:32 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:01 AM
  • On a much lower scale of cost and technical expertise, you can setup a "backup" email receiver at many internet sites to collect your mail should your mail server go off line.  Won't give you access to existing mail, but it will store your new mail for you and send it on when the SBS is up.  Some will even allow access via web mail.

Search the net for such and let us know what you decide.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:33 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Just to give an example of two services that Larry is talking about: Postini and ExchangeDefender

I'm using both quite successfully with SBS and they have proved their worth when I have had very occasional outages (server or internet). They also do virus/malware scanning and, in the case of Exchange Defender, let you access queued mail via a Outlook 2010 web access system (this was very useful for a two day outage I had on an SBS 2011 install quite recently).

Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• sounds like you want a DAG (Database Availability Group).

Requires 2 copies of Server Enterprise (for the cluster) and 2 additional copies of Exchange. (because the copy on SBS cannot participate in the cluster).

Easier just to try not to break SBS.

• Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:32 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:01 AM
  • On a much lower scale of cost and technical expertise, you can setup a "backup" email receiver at many internet sites to collect your mail should your mail server go off line.  Won't give you access to existing mail, but it will store your new mail for you and send it on when the SBS is up.  Some will even allow access via web mail.

Search the net for such and let us know what you decide.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Just to give an example of two services that Larry is talking about: Postini and ExchangeDefender

I'm using both quite successfully with SBS and they have proved their worth when I have had very occasional outages (server or internet). They also do virus/malware scanning and, in the case of Exchange Defender, let you access queued mail via a Outlook 2010 web access system (this was very useful for a two day outage I had on an SBS 2011 install quite recently).

Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Yep, those are some.  But not all such backup mail servers require that you suscribe to a mail cleansing service to hold your mail for you, and some are very inexpensive, if not free.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thank you for your replies. I have just one more question regarding DAG. Since I am not that experienced admin, I would for sure like to try to create DAG but can you tell me in the future how this step can complicate any further migration to further SBS version or to another server if necessary.

Thanks

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:16 AM
  • initial reaction? _way_ out of your depth, and, in fact, mine.

_DESPITE_ the fact there is no further version of SBS. SBS11 was the last. (where SBS was previously 'The Highlander', There can be Only One, it is now The Dinosaur, none remain, extinct, dead, resembling a wooden parrot [look up John Cleese and parrot]).

and way out of the budget for SMB. Establishing a DAG makes 'Cloud Services' look attractive.

My (somewhat disappointed and cynical) humble opinion.

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:54 AM
  • You already have SBS2011 , planing to go ahead with DAG options,  isn't you are thinking too far ahead? Future versions are not even released for market .
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:03 AM
  • @SuperGumby: :) I now that sketch, it is great :) Thank you for a very colorfull description of SBS future.

@ Mohitkapoor: Well I just thought about future :)

Thank you all for your help.  

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:32 AM