none
Item-level targeting in GPP stop show OS "Windows 7" like target ?

Question

• Hello,

I have server with Windows 2008 x86.

Also have a lot (around 20) GPP polycies for different goals. I love to use Item-level targeting because it's easy and faster than WMI filter.

Suddenly last week I've copied some of used GPOs to make new ones and when I want to change OU or Site parameters in item-level the GPMC gives me an error:

"

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.Filters.OperatingSystemFilterControl.get_OperatingSystemEdition()
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.Filters.OperatingSystemFilterControl.GetSummaryText()
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.Common.GetSummaryText(BaseFilterControl filterControl, Boolean firstInCollection)
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.FilterDesignerForm.Filter_FilterChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.Filters.BaseFilterControl.FireFilterChanged()
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.Filters.BaseFilterControl.set_OperatorIsAnd(Boolean value)
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.FilterDesignerForm.SetOperatorIsAnd(Boolean operatorIsAnd, Boolean firstInCollection)
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.FilterDesignerForm.RefreshPreviewPane()
       at Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.FilterDesignerForm.filtersTree_AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4241 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting
        Win32 Version: 6.0.6001.18000
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting/2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Targeting.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4236 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4235 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4235 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Xml
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4246 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

"

If click Continue the form loading but all Items where exist "OS Windows 7" are blank, noname, only Windows flag stand in the row. If I add an Item "Operating system" - there is no "Windows 7" in drop down list?

What happens, is it posible to be from some Updates (.NET Framework ?)

I've tested to edit GPOs with my second RODC under Windows 2008 R2 and polycies are read properly, with all item-level rules ?

Please some advice, thanks to anyone in advance !

just Topper

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Using SUR/ In-Place upgrade to repair system seems the only method

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:42 AM
  • Thank for that.

Will wait eagerly for some guidance !

just Topper

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Yes, it seems .net framework related. Please check whether the server is up-to-date.  

Please help clarify the following points:

Did the error only occur on server2008 when you doing Copy and Paste in GPMC? on 2008R2, you can read/edit properly with Item-Level targeting and Windows 7 lists there?

Thanks, Brian

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Yes, it seems .net framework related. Please check whether the server is up-to-date.  

Please help clarify the following points:

Did the error only occur on server2008 when you doing Copy and Paste in GPMC? on 2008R2, you can read/edit properly with Item-Level targeting and Windows 7 lists there?

Thanks, Brian

Yes, 2008 is up-to-date (first this is what I've checked, second was latest updates and they was about 3.5 .NET)

Nope, the error in item-level option for OS Windows 7 appears even I edit old working (I hope) GPOs

Yes, on 2008 R2 I've still got the propper options specialy for this item-level.

just Topper

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:41 AM
  • If it's the case, I don't think it's a GPO broken. Try rebuilding .NET framework 2.0 to resolve the problem.

Regards, Brian

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:31 AM
  • I think so, but could you advice me - how to do that rebuild ?

sfc /scannow not works for me.

Tried already and .NET fix tool from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

No good results, the error still exist. Attaching images from screen:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/npv1.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/80g1.png

just Topper

• Edited by Topper BG Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:24 PM Adding information
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:55 AM
  •  .net framework 2.0 is shipped in 2008 server, it must be something corrupted. Try instaling SP2 directly and then retry Repair tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36308

if the issue persists, could you pick another 2008 to test the result?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Not works.

Nor .net 2.0 SP1 nor .net 2.0 SP2 for Windows 2008/Vista x86.

The manual update shows me that cant be applied on this installation.

Im in dead end :(

What do you mean with "pick another 2008" ?

just Topper

• Edited by Topper BG Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:35 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:35 PM
  • yes, if you have another 2008 DC, please try checking the result on it. Please also make sure your 2008 server has been upgraded to SP2. If it still has no luck...

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Yes, it is SP2.

No, I haven't another 2K8 as DC but have 2K8 R2 as DC and there works w/o problem.

Did I have usefull moves ?

just Topper

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Okay, so it's the question How to repair .net framework...

Try .net framework cleanup too to clear .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 and reinstall it from the internet.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

If the issue persists, I assume some system files are corrupted. Use System Update Readiness Tool to fix. If it still has no luck, I'm afraid an In-place upgrade is required.

Regards, Brian

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:31 AM
  • It's useless because Win 2k8 becomes with integrated .net 2.0 and dut to this can't be reinstalled with Windows updates packages :(

just Topper

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Using SUR/ In-Place upgrade to repair system seems the only method

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:24 PM
  • System Update Readiness Tool ? Didn't work, already try it.

Repair IDK if its posible on DC. Better to choose little evil and leave it instead of..deeper trouble after repair

just Topper

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:41 PM
  • You could try using RSAT on other member server 2008 to remote control GPMC.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you
    To be honest: Your post did not solve the problem in question - so who marked them as an answer and why???

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:13 AM
  • This way I do it right now.

And yes, this is not resolution, this is just overway.

just Topper

Friday, August 30, 2013 7:01 PM