none
rsAccessDenied - SQL Server report

Question

•  

I have created SSRS report for the dashboard, but when I priview I get the rsAccessDenied for domain\user.

I can see the report in the Dashboard just fine! I can also see the report when using the Report Manager using the same user. The user has admin rights and the same user is used for service etc.

This seems to be a common error with SSRS, so I checked all the SSRS fourms and went throught all the steps, but the error just does not seem to go away.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you please clarify whether SSRS is configured native mode or SharePoint Integration Mode in Reporting Services Configuration Manager?  

Please check the Execution Account in Reporting Services Configuration Manager, option may require an update

SharePoint Integrated Mode:

1. From Dashboard Designer, created SQL Server Report
    2. Selected SharePoint Integrated in Server mode
    3. The Report Server URL has to be http://servername: port/reportserver

Native Mode

2. Selected Report Center in Server mode

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please clarify whether SSRS is configured native mode or SharePoint Integration Mode in Reporting Services Configuration Manager?  

Please check the Execution Account in Reporting Services Configuration Manager, option may require an update

SharePoint Integrated Mode:

2. Selected SharePoint Integrated in Server mode

Native Mode

2. Selected Report Center in Server mode

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Native mode. I had followed the same steps as you suggested.

While I am in the DD, I can see the report. Only when I priview, I get the error.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

My server setup everything on single server able to preview and publish the report.  Can you please details about your environment?

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Hello SamShah66,

Another thing to check would be the Application pool Identity running the PPSMonitoringPreview App Pool. If it is different then the PPSMonitoringWebService App Pool account I would change it so they are the same. If that is not workable, you will need to give the account running the PPSMonitoringWebService App Pool the same rights as the account running PPSMonitoringPreview App Pool.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:20 PM
  • I am running everything on the same laptop on Vista - SQL 2005 SP2 + PPS.

It seems to be stuck is security somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

I also checked the security at App pool as suggested above, it's the same.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Hello SamShah66,

Just to clarify, when you say you preview the dashboard with the SSRS report in it do you mean you deployed it to SharePoint and it doesn't work or you used the Preview option in Dashboard designer to look at it?

If you are looking at it in SharePoint, then the account running the SharePoint App pool would need access to the report as well. When the dashboard has been deployed to SharePoint, the SharePoint App pool identity is used to access any data source or report data source.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  

I mean the Preview option in the Dashboard Designer. No deployment to Sharepoint yet.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Just ran across this post. Can you give me a little more information here? When you say that the account used for the SharePoint app pool is the identity used to access data sources, do you mean that when the user selects a SharePoint deployed report/dashboard that the app_pool is actually the security principal used to access the data source?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:18 PM
  • I've just been through the same problem, and found the answer!

The AD account of the user who is getting the error has been changed since the user first started using SharePoint\WSS. RS uses the name as recorded in sharepoint site to try and locate the user in AD, which fails because the user names no longer match.

Simplist fix is to delete the user in the site and have them retry - sharepoint recreates the  user with the correct name from AD and RS can then locate them.

Wanabie mdx ninja
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:49 AM