none
Silly email question (SBS 2011 / Exchange 2010 / POP)

Question

• Hi there..

I'm probably going about this the wrong way.

For one reason or another and I won't go in to it - so please try and avoid the  "well, you shouldn't have used that" answers at this stage.

Essentially...

I have a client that only had a few users/systems.

He's running Windows SBS 2011 Standard on his server.

However, his domain was created with what is effectively the same internal domain as his external domain. Let's call it contoso.com

A 3rd party hosts his emails and he's been given the POP/SMTP details for his mailboxes. I've input the details and Outlook fails to find his e-mail server.

Task <email address> - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.'

This happens every time.. I've tried various authentication tick boxes etc.. and none make a difference. I haven't actually set up a internet address on this server - So Exchange shouldn't be playing with this at all should it? I've disabled all of the Exchange services just incase - but it makes no difference. He can receive email though, no problems.

So my stupid question - is there anything I should know? Am I just getting the details wrong somehow? Or could Exchange be interfering? I know people get a bee in their bonnet about using SBS, but not Exchange etc... but that's just the way it is now. His internal domain name shouldn't make any difference should it? In this case, can Exchange be configured to collect his mail for him? Thanks!

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

All replies