none
Launching SSIS Package using DTexec.exe with the Task Scheduler

Question

• Hello

I would like to launch an SSIS Package using DTExec.exe but with the Task Scheduler instead of the SQL Server Agent. The reason being is that I am having tremendous problems creating a proxy and would like another mechanism to launch the Package. I can run it easy on the machine with dtexecui.exe. My question is:

Is this possible to do with the Task scheduler (launch at a particular time the package with DTexec.exe Package.dtsx?

Thanks!
    Mike

Mike Kiser

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:54 PM

Answers

• Even if you don't plan to use SQL Agent. 

Go inside SSMS -> SQL Agent -> Create a new job, then create a new step for SSIS.

Here you will see all the options to configure the SSIS package you want to run. choose all the options like package source, server, authentication, configuration, data sources etc etc.

When you are done, then go into the "command line" tab. Here you will see all the commands which are required to execute the package from the command line.

Copy this command and paste it into notepad.

Now cancel everything and come out of SSMS.

Save your notepad as a cmd file and then configure your task scheduler to run the cmd file.

val it: unit=()

• Marked as answer by EMKISER Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:07 PM
    Monday, July 08, 2013 9:05 PM
  • The Windows Task Scheduler is capable of running jobs as frequently as needed, you only need to access the advanced settings of the task:

PS: Now think what happens if the package does not complete in 2 hours and a next launch came? What if the amount of data doubled in a year?

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• Even if you don't plan to use SQL Agent. 

Go inside SSMS -> SQL Agent -> Create a new job, then create a new step for SSIS.

Here you will see all the options to configure the SSIS package you want to run. choose all the options like package source, server, authentication, configuration, data sources etc etc.

When you are done, then go into the "command line" tab. Here you will see all the commands which are required to execute the package from the command line.

Copy this command and paste it into notepad.

Now cancel everything and come out of SSMS.

Save your notepad as a cmd file and then configure your task scheduler to run the cmd file.

val it: unit=()

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Thanks! I have everything configured per your reply. However, I need to run the SSIS Package every 2 hours. Is the Task Scheduler that granular? I only see day, week, month.
    Thanks
    Mike

Mike Kiser

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:36 PM
  • The Windows Task Scheduler is capable of running jobs as frequently as needed, you only need to access the advanced settings of the task:

PS: Now think what happens if the package does not complete in 2 hours and a next launch came? What if the amount of data doubled in a year?

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I would highly suggest you fix your issue with SQL Agent instead.  The error tracking in Scheduled Tasks is horrible.

If you post your actual issue with Agent, someone might be able to help you.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Thanks everyone!
    I have this working now.........

Mike

Mike Kiser

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:07 PM