none
What are the Scripting Languages which can be supported by SSIS (2008 +)?

Question

• I know that it supports MS Visual C# and Visual Basic. Can we add more languages to it ? For example - Python, Java, JavaScript etc. ?

Also, I have a career related question - If those are the only 2 languages, then is it a must to have "advanced" skills in both as opposed to "beginner" or "intermediate" skills ? Do real SSIS developers need to use these languages often in their script tasks ?

Thanks.

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:53 PM

Answers

• SSIS 2008 does not support built in support for scripting languages, but there is also SSIS expression engine in addition to C# and VB .net programming languages.

Knowing either of the languages is a must in my opinion because sooner or later a developer would need to escape the functionality offered by its stock components.

Arthur My Blog

• Marked as answer by Greg3tl Friday, September 20, 2013 11:29 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 6:16 PM

All replies

• SSIS 2008 does not support built in support for scripting languages, but there is also SSIS expression engine in addition to C# and VB .net programming languages.

Knowing either of the languages is a must in my opinion because sooner or later a developer would need to escape the functionality offered by its stock components.

Arthur My Blog

• Marked as answer by Greg3tl Friday, September 20, 2013 11:29 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 6:16 PM

Arthur My Blog

Is there a list of "common jobs which can be done ONLY by Script" ? Eg. Check if a file exists or not etc. ?

Friday, September 20, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Is there a list of "common jobs which can be done ONLY by Script" ? Eg. Check if a file exists or not etc. ?

Anything not supported by the standard tasks and components may require creating custom script. And because the scripting is based on the .NET framework you can accomplish almost everything required in script.

SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:02 PM
  • The common tasks term is too broad. They are not the same for all ETL developers.

Say operating on the file system, for example obtaining file info, can still be done say with a free component as http://filepropertiestask.codeplex.com/, if an ETL developer is not proficient in coding then I suggest to just solve an immediate issue he/she needs to look into CodePlex, but learning coding and scripting is very necessary.

Arthur My Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Thanks. I did not know we had some non ms components to extend the functionality of SSIS.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:42 PM