none
Potential problems sharing PowerPivot files with users that do not have PowerPivot

Question

• I am hoping to put together a new sales and commission workbook for our sales team which will link to a small number of data sources, refresh on open and then give them all of the information they need. They will primarily need read-only access to up-to-date tables, charts, Power Views and PivotTables that give them needed sales information, they do not however need to be able to modify any of this or access the Data Model itself.

We have been using PowerPivot recently and this definitely seems to be the way to go in terms of managing and putting together the data, I do however have some serious concerns about the files accessibility based on the following:

• The Data Model will link to a  single MySQL data source, all queries will need to refresh on open.
    • The Data Model will to one additional external workbook stored on our network, this connection and associated data will need to be refreshed on open.

With this in mind my questions are;

• Will Windows users with versions of office 2007 or 2010 be able to update the worksheets on open and access all information (excluding the Data Model itself) WITHOUT PowerPivot installed.
    • Will Mac users with the most recent Office suite

The file itself will be stored on SharePoint, but we have only a basic version of SharePoint which does not include Excel services so those sharing style options will not work. If the above solution will not work can someone please recommend an alternative?

One potential obstacle I'm already foreseeing is that the data will not update unless each computer that access the data has the ODBC connection installed and set-up on their PC, unless there is a way of containing this within the Excel file itself.

Thanks,

James

• Edited by Maracles Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:24 PM

Answers

• To be blunt, what you are proposing will not work.

To access and browse PowerPivot data in Excel users would need the PowerPivot addin installed and they would need Excel 2010 or later on Windows. Excel 2007 and Excel for Mac will not run PowerPivot.

PowerPivot in Excel will also not refresh data from the data sources on open. The users would need to open the PowerPivot addin and click on the Refresh button in there.

If you don't have the Enterprise version of Sharepoint the only other option I can think of is to convert the PowerPivot model in to an Analysis Services tabular database (assuming that you have SQL 2012) and then use Reporting Services to deliver the data to the users through a browser (or via email subscriptions)

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:51 AM

All replies

• To be blunt, what you are proposing will not work.

To access and browse PowerPivot data in Excel users would need the PowerPivot addin installed and they would need Excel 2010 or later on Windows. Excel 2007 and Excel for Mac will not run PowerPivot.

PowerPivot in Excel will also not refresh data from the data sources on open. The users would need to open the PowerPivot addin and click on the Refresh button in there.

If you don't have the Enterprise version of Sharepoint the only other option I can think of is to convert the PowerPivot model in to an Analysis Services tabular database (assuming that you have SQL 2012) and then use Reporting Services to deliver the data to the users through a browser (or via email subscriptions)

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:51 AM
  • This is what I feared, thanks for confirming that these would be the kind of issues we'd experience. We will look at alternative solutions.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:47 AM