none
Remote Assistance / Easy Connect greyed out / how to enable Easy Connect

Question

• I'm trying to get Remote Assistance to work between a W7 ultimate desktop and a W8 notebook. As a first step with both PC's on a local network. Using the invitation file works OK. However, I would prefer to use 'Easy Connect', specifically for my family member. On the W8 notebook, I can initiate Remote Assistance with Easy Connect and it gives me the password. However:

On the W7 desktop, when running msra.exe, the option 'Easy Connect' is greyed out; it cannot be selected.

I would appreciate any instructions to get Easy Connect working on the W7 PC

I (think I) have tried the obvious found with an internet search, but clearly wasn't able to perform the required magic :-)

More information:

• The W7 desktop is wired to the internet via an Edimax gigabit switch, a Dlink DIR-855 wireless router and a fiber modem in bridge mode
    • The W7 and W8 laptops are connected via WiFi
    • I have another W7 laptop to which I can setup Remote Assistance from the W8 laptop using Easy Connect just fine
    • I’m able to set up RA to the W7 desktop using an invitation from the W8 laptop
    • The W7 desktop has a single active network connection only
    • The W7 desktop uses Windows Firewall, disabling it did not help
    • Network discovery is enabled in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings (that’s UPnP – right?)
    • The Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool does not seem to be available anymore from MSFT sites

Thanks!

• Edited by Wytze_ Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to restart Peer Name Resolution Protocol service.

Click "Start", go to run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.

click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to restart the service.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Wytze_ Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:15 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:13 AM
  • See the thread @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6b5a72eb-6523-4af9-85ab-3694d7cc457a/peer-name-resolution-protocol-will-not-start?forum=w7itpronetworking where some resolutions are presented for your error 0x80630801 above.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Hi Ada, Rick,

Believe the issue is solved; I was able to establish the Remote Assistance from the W8 laptop to the W7 Desktop! Let me summarize the steps I took to make this thread useful for others (like me) experiencing the same problem:

Problem: Cannot easy the "Easy Connect" feature for to setup Remote Assistance as Easy Connect is Greyed out in my Windows 7 PC.

Analysis: The Peer Name Resolution Service (PNRS) is not started. An Attempt to start is results in the error message above.

To check the status of PNRS

-          Click Start

-          Type “services.msc” <enter>

-          Locate PNRS in the Service windows that open and double click it; a window for this service open

-          Check the “Service Status”. It is "Stopped" in this case

-          Try to Start it; in this case, this gives an error message as in my post above

You are not able to start the PNRS service

If the above analysis applies, the following steps resolved the problem in my case:

Solution (for the above case):

-          Open an “elevated prompt” command window

• Click Start
    • Selected Programs/Accessories
    • Right click “Command Prompt” and select “run as administrator
    • An “Elevated Command Prompt” windows now opens (which looks quite normal btw)

-          In the command windows type the following command to stop the Peer Networking Identity Manager:

• Net stop p2pimsvc /y <enter>
    • The result will be something similar to:
      The Peer Networking Identity Manager service is stopping.
      The Peer Networking Identity Manager service was stopped successfully

-          Next, delete (or rename) the following file:
    "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"
    To do this:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Browse step by step to the folder location of the file by browsing C: à Windows à ServiceProfiles à LocalService à AppData à Roaming à PeerNetworking
    • Note: the Appdata folder is a hidden folder so you will need to enable the viewing of hidden folders in Windows Explorer: F10 à Tools à Folder Options à View and select “show hidden files, folders and drives”
    • Locate the file idstore.sst and delete is (or just to be careful, rename it to idsore.sst.OLD or something)

-          Reboot your PC

“Easy Connect” was no longer greyed out:

Thanks to Ada, Rick and the people from the thread Rick mentioned!

Post Mortem: can someone perhaps explain what happened?

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to tell that this function depends on the Network environment.

This issue might occur if the below criteria are not met.

1. Both computers aren't running Windows 7. In order to use Easy Connect with Remote Assistance, both of the computers must be running Windows 7.

2. Access to the Internet is limited. If access to the Internet is limited on either computer, Easy Connect is disabled. Internet access might be limited if you’re on a corporate network.

3. Your router doesn't support Easy Connect. Easy Connect uses the Peer Name Resolution Protocol to transfer the Remote Assistance invitation over the Internet. You can check your router by using the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool on the Microsoft website. If you're running Windows Server, you need to install the Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

For more information, please refer to related article.

Why can’t I use Easy Connect with Windows Remote Assistance?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-use-Easy-Connect-with-Windows-Remote-Assistance

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Dear Ada, thanks for the reply.

I had seen these tips before, but it might make sense to add my findings:

1. Both computers aren't running Windows 7: in fact they are not, one is W8, the other one is W7. I believe this not to be an issue as I confirmed Easy Aces was not greyed out and could establish a Remote Assistance session between the W8  and a W7 laptop on the same network. Specifically on the W7 desktop Easy Access was greyed out. Perhaps this tip is from the pre-W8 era?

2. Access to the Internet is limited: in this case I was using the Remote support from two PC in the same home network. Out of three PC's tested, two (W8 laptop and W7 laptop) did not have Easy Access greyed out and one (W7 desktop) had the problem mentioned.

3. Your router doesn't support Easy Connect: as with (2); there is only one router in my home network.

So, my guess is that the above 3 points are not the route to a solution in my case. On the other hand, I could have taken a wrong turn somewhere. My guess is that I should look for the solution in the W7 desktop PC. So, comments appreciated!

• Edited by Wytze_ Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:28 AM clarification
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Please read the information Microsoft has posted about this subject @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-remote-assistance-frequently-asked-questions

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Dear Rick,

Thanks a lot for stepping in. I badly need a solution J.  I followed your suggestions, but unfortunately, they do not bring me any closer to a solution. Here are my notes:

Reading the FAQ link you provided, in the section “Easy Connect does not seem to work. What can I do?”, suggests to run the “Easy Connect Trouble Shooter”.  A bit further down it explains how to do this: “…. Tap or click Use Easy Connect”. And this (…) is exactly the problem: the option ‘Easy Connect” is greyed out, e.g. I cannot access it and henceforth cannot start the trouble shooter.

For “Any Other Problem”, the same FAQ article suggests to ask a question on the Microsoft Community website. This confuses me as I did start this question at mentioned Community website (see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/windows-7-easy-connect-greyed-out-enable-easy/56652a33-9d5d-41d0-8cdf-f3d5cb5242bd?tm=1381180681831), but was redirect to this forum.

Any suggestions to address why the Easy Connect Option is greyed out remains very welcome!

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to restart Peer Name Resolution Protocol service.

Click "Start", go to run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.

click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to restart the service.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

Friday, October 11, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Dear Ada,

Thanks for your tip. This seems to point in right direction. Here is why:

I have checked the status of this service on both the 'good' W7 laptop and the 'bad' W7 desk top. This is a screenshot from the 'bad' W7 desktop:

[peer name resolutin service status]

The service is not running and an attempt to start is give an error message:

[Error message when attemtping to start PNRP]

Note that on the 'good' W7 laptop, the same service has the 'started' status. Attempting to Stop and Start it on this laptop respond as expected and without any error message.

I know that this PNRP service is essential for Easy Connect, but cannot interpret the error message.

Any suggestion for the a next step - needless to say - welcome!

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:44 PM
  • See the thread @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6b5a72eb-6523-4af9-85ab-3694d7cc457a/peer-name-resolution-protocol-will-not-start?forum=w7itpronetworking where some resolutions are presented for your error 0x80630801 above.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Hi Ada, Rick,

Believe the issue is solved; I was able to establish the Remote Assistance from the W8 laptop to the W7 Desktop! Let me summarize the steps I took to make this thread useful for others (like me) experiencing the same problem:

Problem: Cannot easy the "Easy Connect" feature for to setup Remote Assistance as Easy Connect is Greyed out in my Windows 7 PC.

Analysis: The Peer Name Resolution Service (PNRS) is not started. An Attempt to start is results in the error message above.

To check the status of PNRS

-          Click Start

-          Type “services.msc” <enter>

-          Locate PNRS in the Service windows that open and double click it; a window for this service open

-          Check the “Service Status”. It is "Stopped" in this case

-          Try to Start it; in this case, this gives an error message as in my post above

You are not able to start the PNRS service

If the above analysis applies, the following steps resolved the problem in my case:

Solution (for the above case):

-          Open an “elevated prompt” command window

• Click Start
    • Selected Programs/Accessories
    • Right click “Command Prompt” and select “run as administrator
    • An “Elevated Command Prompt” windows now opens (which looks quite normal btw)

-          In the command windows type the following command to stop the Peer Networking Identity Manager:

• Net stop p2pimsvc /y <enter>
    • The result will be something similar to:
      The Peer Networking Identity Manager service is stopping.
      The Peer Networking Identity Manager service was stopped successfully

-          Next, delete (or rename) the following file:
    "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"
    To do this:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Browse step by step to the folder location of the file by browsing C: à Windows à ServiceProfiles à LocalService à AppData à Roaming à PeerNetworking
    • Note: the Appdata folder is a hidden folder so you will need to enable the viewing of hidden folders in Windows Explorer: F10 à Tools à Folder Options à View and select “show hidden files, folders and drives”
    • Locate the file idstore.sst and delete is (or just to be careful, rename it to idsore.sst.OLD or something)

-          Reboot your PC

“Easy Connect” was no longer greyed out:

Thanks to Ada, Rick and the people from the thread Rick mentioned!

Post Mortem: can someone perhaps explain what happened?

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:15 PM