none
Cannot ping domain name

Question

• I have just stood up a domain with a single Windows Server 2012 and three Windows 8.1 workstations.  The server has the Active Directory role along with DNS and DHCP.  I can ping the IP of the server from the workstation and the workstation from the server.  However I cannot join the workstation to the domain I created.  I also notice that I can resolve the name of the server from the workstation but I cannot ping the domain.  Firewalls on both systems, server and workstation are currently off.  The DNS on the server is set to it's own IP first and loopback for secondary.  I feel pretty confident it is a DNS issue but cannot determine what.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 
    Thursday, May 08, 2014 8:20 PM

Answers

• I fixed it.  I created a New Pointer in Reverse Lookup Zone of DNS that points to the server.

In the New PTR window enter the  IP address of DNS server and enter(or
    select) the host name of the server.

Now click OK and
    restart the DNS server service.

Friday, May 09, 2014 5:27 PM

All replies

• In the client, goto network properties and add DNS IP address ie. the IP address of your domain controller where DNS is hosted. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 09, 2014 4:37 AM
  • I have that entered as the primary DNS, still not joy.
    Friday, May 09, 2014 10:54 AM
  • I fixed it.  I created a New Pointer in Reverse Lookup Zone of DNS that points to the server.

In the New PTR window enter the  IP address of DNS server and enter(or
    select) the host name of the server.

Now click OK and
    restart the DNS server service.

Friday, May 09, 2014 5:27 PM