none
"No Power BI for Office 365 License" Error

Question

• Hi folks,

Yesterday I added Power BI to my E3 subscription.  My trial was on a separate tenant so that shouldn't be getting in the way.

The Sharepoint app seems to work, as does the gateway and data source setup.

However, when trying to "Sign In" (from the Power Query tab in Excel) I get the error:

"No Power BI for Office 365 License"

I have opened a support request via my admin portal however they are unable to support Power BI and have directed me here.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:39 PM

Answers

• Jamie,

We just rolled out a service update which should resolve this issue, please try logging in again using Power Query and let us know if you run into any issues.

Srinath,

We are still looking into the issue you identified, and will update you as soon as we have more data.

Thanks for your patience!

Zafar Abbas

• Marked as answer by JHunter Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:39 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:41 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  I can access everything else fine, but when I sign in on the Power Query tab, I get the same error:

"A valid license is required to access enterprise features.  Please contact your organization's IT administrator."

I verified that my user has a Power BI license assigned.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Did you actually assign a Power BI license to the user who you are trying to log in as? You need to ensure that in the Administration Portal, you assign Power BI licenses to the users who need to have Power BI capabilities.

Thanks.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group - Microsoft

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Glad (unfortunately) to see someone else is having issues.  My support query was escalated on Friday but so far nothing good to report back.

Faisal, the first thing I did was assigned the licenses to user, I was then able to play around with all the SharePoint functionality.  The problem only happens when trying to "Sign In" from power query :(

I am able to authenticate with the oData source directly, so it has to be something to do with the Sign in functionality.

Jamie 

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Yes, the user has a Power BI license.  As I said, I can access Power BI fine.  The problem is only on the Power Query sign in.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Hi Jamie,

There is an issue with the service that is preventing users from signing in through the Power Query Excel Client and accessing enterprise features. We are working on a high priority fix and it should get rolled out as soon as it is ready.

Zafar Abbas

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Thanks Zafar. Andrei Nutu (MS) has been working closely with me over the last few days to try and get to the bottom of the issue. Your message is welcome news. Jamie
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:12 PM
  • I have the same problem as Jamie 

I added Power BI to my E4 subscription.  However, when trying to access Power BI link on the left side of the screen, i get "No Power BI for Office 365 License" ask your admin.

I'm one of the office 365 admins and have a license assigned to myself already. I have deleted the app and re-added it with no luck so far.

Can you help please and suggest how to fix this?

Thank you so much in advance for your help

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Hi Srinath,

Could you please clarify where do you see the error : "No Power BI for Office 365 License".

Do you see it in when logging in through the Power Query client, or SharePoint Online?

When did you add the Power BI subscription? Did it work for you previously?

Thanks

Zafar Abbas

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Hi Zafar,

After logging into our companies Portal for sharepoint, i navigate to Sites/Team site.

Here i See on the left side links to Home, Notebook, Documents, Power BI and Site Contents.

I click on Power BI link. This is the first time i'm adding this app to our site and running into license issues. 

I'm an admin, So i went to Share Point Admin center and clicked on apps and manage licenses. I see Power BI there and license type is free. also the purchaser name is listed as i:0#.f|membership|srinath@intelhc.onmicrosoft.com.

After clicking the Power BI link it displays "Working on it" and then displays "Loading Sharepoint documents" and then goes on to display this message 

looks like you don't have a user subscription license for power BI for office 365.

want to finout what you are missing? Learn more about Power BI for Office 365.

Here are a few ideas:

Ask your Office 365 admin to assign you a user subscription license for Power BI for office 365.

If you have a different account, try signing in with that account.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:51 AM
  • Jamie,

We just rolled out a service update which should resolve this issue, please try logging in again using Power Query and let us know if you run into any issues.

Srinath,

We are still looking into the issue you identified, and will update you as soon as we have more data.

Zafar Abbas

• Marked as answer by JHunter Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:39 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Hi Srinath,

Can you please check if your user is assigned with a Power BI license (In the O365 admin center >> Users and groups)

GALROY

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Zafar, thank you!

This service update has resolved my issue.

Many thanks to you and the team for a speedy fix and rollout.

Jamie

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:38 AM
  • That fixed it for me. Thank you for the quick response!
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Zafar,

Thank you for your reply!

I do not see a license there for Power BI against my name and no option to assign a license either. when i click on my name i see

Assign License (looks like a header and NOT hyperlinked)

check marked for all of the below

Microsoft Office 365 Plan E4

Yammer Enterprise

Windows Azure Active Directory Rights

Lync Online (plan3)

Office Professional Plus

Lync Online (Plan 2)

Office Web Apps

SharePoint Online (Plan 2)

Exchange Online (Plan 2)

Save and Cancel option buttons at the bottom.

Thank you for your time and help

Srinath

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Srinath,

That means that you don't have the Power BI offer. If you wish to take a trial, you can signup for a trial on PowerBI.com or you can go into purchase services and add a trial of PowerBI standalone.

Post adding the trial (or purchasing) you can assign a license, and then you should be able to use Power BI features, including BI Sites.

GALROY

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Galroy,

But under Sharepoint Admin center/apps/Manage Licenses,

i can see Power BI and is listed as Free app (possible because we have Office 365 E4 enterprise which is the most expensive of all e365 subscriptions offered to us"

under "People with License" it reads

"This app has been purchased for everyone in your organization. Everyone can use this app.

and Under License Managers i see my username 

any helping pointers to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Srinath

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Zafar,

Is there a chance you can confirm if "Power BI" is indeed included as part of subscription or not!?

our license says it is "Office 365 Enterprise E4" 22 licenses for all our employees.

Since i'm getting conflicting information between sharepoint Admin and Office 365 admin i'm getting massively confused and spending too much time on activating it than using this.

If sharepoint admin screen thinks all our employees are eligible for a free license of Power BI (it declares it with a statement and i can send you screenshots of it) and it is ready for usage and Office 365 does not recognize that, where else i should look and what am i supposed to do now!?

Thank you for your patience in answering. i think Galroy gave me a wishy washy response of "Go and buy more licenses"

Srinath

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Galroy,

i don't think you are correct to advice me to go buy more licenses.

I have found what is included in our subscription

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/office-365-enterprise-e4-business-software-FX104034562.aspx

if you look in that link "Self Service BI" is part of what is included. 

I would appreciate if you can find the correct answer for me.

Thank you,

Srinath

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Srinath, E4 is not including Power BI.  You can purchase Power BI add-on as discounted price to add to your E4 subscription.  The page you listed above does seem confusing and I will follow up on that.  If you click on self service business intelligence, it will bring you to power bi page.  Then if you click on buy now, you will see the page for E4 add-on price. 

Thanks,

Sherry

Friday, February 21, 2014 12:44 AM
  • Sherry,

Thank you for the reply!

Srinath

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:26 AM