none
How to use Power Pivot on TFS data source

Question

• We are using TFS to track bugs and I want to build a Power Pivot workbook showing the bug trend. I figured that I need to establish an ODATA data source first but no matter what URL I put in, it always tells me "Unable to obtain list of tables from the data source." Any idea what should I put in the link box?

We are using Excel 2013 and TFS2012.

Thanks,

Chu

-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Chu,

By default TFS don't offers a OData API, it is an additional addon; see Download OData Service for Team Foundation Server v2 Have you installed that one?

Instead you could access the TFS databases directly. The database "Tfs_Warehouse" is used as DWH for the TFS cube/reporting, so you could also use that one for your Power Pivot model.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Thanks Olaf. We have not installed OData Service for TFS v2 because the admin said it involved more than 60 steps and he's worried that he might break something - We are heavily using TFS so he doesnt want to take a risk. Is there any other way to get access to the DWH?

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:42 AM
  • Is there any other way to get access to the DWH?

As I already wrote, you can get all informations from the "Tfs_Warehouse" database.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:11 AM
  • How do I put it in SQL Server name box? If I put in tfs_warehouse in server name, it'll resolve to no such database existed.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:38 AM