none
How to manage a Hyper-V 2012R2 Host from Windows 7?

Question

• AFAIK This is the official Hyper-V Manager for Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887 it explicitly lists Hyper-V versions up to 2008R2, there is no mention of 2012 or 2012R2, and from trying to connect to my new Hyper-V 2012R2 I can confirm that it doesn't want to work.

From reading the docs on Hyper-V 2012/2012R2 remote management I've come to the conclusion that its only possible with Windows 8+ or Server 2012+ , but it cannot be used to manage Hyper-V 2008/2008R2...

Someone please tell me that this is just one big mistake on my part and that the product owner for Hyper-V at Microsoft is not this stupid...

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• New capabilities and features were added to 2012 and 2012 R2 that Windows 7 as an operating system simply does not know about.  I assume that you are talking specifically about managing it via RSAT.  Because that is where your described problem comes into play.  This is not unique to Hyper-V.  This is across the board.  Windows 7 can only manage with RSAT what it knows about, and it does not know about Windows 2012 or 2012 R2.

However, that does not mean you cannot manage it remotely.  PowerShell is available to do basically everything you can do via RSAT.  You can issue commands remotely to the Windows 2012 / R2 hosts to have all the PowerShell capabilities from that host.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Actually it's not RSAT that I am talking about, it's the actual 'Hyper-V Manager' (http://blogs.technet.com/b/schadinio/archive/2010/07/09/installing-hyper-v-manager-on-windows-7.aspx) tool that allows you to create, modify and delete VMs on a Hyper-V host.
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:31 PM
  • You can use the 5nine Manager for Hyper-V 3.6. Even in the free version it supports 2012 R2, 2012 and 2008 R2 SP1 for management from Windows 7 x64.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:15 AM
  • With Windows 7 just adding the feature, you can connect to a server 2012 hyperv, you will not be able to use all the same new features that are in hyper v manager for 2012 or windows 8. but you can do anything that you would have done to a server 2008 r2 hyerv install.

What you can't do, is access a server 2008 r2 hyperv server from server 2012 or windows 8 hyperv manager.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:45 PM
  • So if I understand you correctly to manage VMs on a 2012R2 Hyper-V host using the Hyper-V Manager I can only do this from a 2012R2 Server (maybe Windows 8.1)?

Or I can buy the 5nine Manager if I want to do this from other versions of Windows/Server... What the hell was the product team at Microsoft thinking?

Thanks for all the answers people, looks like I have another reason to explore other options in the hyper-visor world even if I am at a 'pure' Windows shop.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Yep, you can use Server Manager on Windows Server 2o12 R2|Windows 8.1 for full-featured management VM on Hyper-V 2012 R2.

Also, you can use 5nine Manager or VMM for GUI-management. 5nine products cheaper and easier -)

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Same difference.  Windows 7 simply does not know about all things that are available in Windows Server 2012 and beyond.  Sort of like expecting to find the definition for the word 'twitter' in a 1990 dictionary to explain social media. 

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Thanks I've downloaded the 5nine Manager and find it to be less than a complete solution, with features missing and erroneous error messages, thanks but no thanks.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:00 PM
  • ROFL

Your analogy is hilarious! 

What is it that prevents Microsoft from releasing a single Hyper-V Manager that will enable the management of VMs across all Hyper-V releases?

It's clear to me that the people at Microsoft who are in charge of Hyper-V have no clue what it means to run a large data center with hundreds of Hyper-V hosts running thousands of VMs. I will have every single release (2008 / 2008R2 / 2012 & 2012R2) of Hyper-V running in the data center and having to use a different OS! to manage the VMs is just crazy.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

On Windows7 platform you can manage Hyper-V server under the 2008r2 versions.

More information:

Install and Configure Hyper-V Tools for Remote Administration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794756(v=ws.10).aspx

About the Hyper-V WMI Provider

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc136766(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps.

Alex Lv

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:24 AM
  • try these three products hyper-v manager products

vtutilities www.vtutilities.com (free to try for 14 days then $119)

HVM http://www.probus-it.se/hypervtools/hypervmanager (free non commercial use, in beta still so I do not think he is charging for use yet and he will work with you on price)

5nine www.5nine.com Free version is getting there but not as good as the two above and has a pay for version for $159 but still not as good as Vtutilities and more expensive.

James_Stephan@yahoo.com visit my blog stephanco.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Same difference.  Windows 7 simply does not know about all things that are available in Windows Server 2012 and beyond.  Sort of like expecting to find the definition for the word 'twitter' in a 1990 dictionary to explain social media. 

I have had luck with connecting 2008 R2 Hyper-V manager to other 2008 R2's, and 2012, but not 2012 R2.  

I would compare Windows 7/2008 R2's inability to manage future versions of windows to a child going through 1st grade, when they go to 2nd grade they all of a sudden speak a different language and can no longer communicate to anyone from the 1st grade.  The logic is not there.  You should at least be able to connect (or patch and then connect) to any version.   Remote desktop / terminal services is backwards compatible why can't hyper-v management be?

Microsoft builds a nice car, but they remove a steering wheel and third parties have filled the gap.   In 2012/ Windows 8 they also auto-hid the ignition, brake, and gas pedals so you have to magically know to slam your mouse cursor in the corners to find them.   

I really admire the back end / features of 2012 server, but management (or remotely management) of it is terrible.   I should not have to run third party scripts or third party programs just to make a server functional.

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:48 PM
  • The solution for me was to spin-up a 2012R2 server VM on my 2008R2 HyperV host and use that to manage all my HyperV hosts.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Yes - 5Nine is HORRIBLE.  Stay well clear.
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:12 AM
  • NOT TRUE. We use 5nine Manager and LIKE THE PRODUCT A LOT! It is getting more and more

very useful features.

Allows to manage multiple versions of Hyper-V from one console; remotely or locally.

http://www.5nine.com/5nine-manager-for-hyper-v-product.aspx It seems a New version

4.0 just has been released.

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:33 AM
  • I spent almost 3 days before I settled with vtutilities - vtutilities.com

Give it a try, worked for me.

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:07 PM
  • No, it isn't, and it's a stupid comparison. There's fundamentally nothing different between Windows 7 and 8; they both send electrical signals across a wire. Saying that Windows 7 does not know about a certain combination of electrical signals shows an utter lack of understanding of basic principles of computers. 

If what you were saying was even remotely correct, 5Nine would not be able to create a Windows 7 version of their product that manages Windows 2012. The fact that Microsoft won't bother shows that they're more interested in getting people to pay yet again to use their computers rather than supporting the investments of their customers. 

USPJ Academy - The World's First SharePoint University http://www.uspja.com/ Offering training and degrees for SharePoint Professionals

Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Lol, really? From that link:

"Download and install the RSAT tools for Windows 7 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en. Install either the 32-bit or 64-bit depending on what version of Windows 7 you’re using."

-AM

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 2:44 AM
  • All,

New 5nine Manager 5.0 for Hyper-V is available! http://www.5nine.com/5nine-manager-for-hyper-v-product.aspx

New features include:

•Replication to enable failover of production workloads to a secondary site for disaster recovery
    •Group operations for multiple VMs
    •Applications logs
    •Enhanced agentless anti-malware
    •Automated virtual machine (VM) provisioning
    •Enhanced cluster management
    •VMs Guest connection views through FreeRDP or Microsoft controls
    •And much, much more...

• Proposed as answer by crazykevo Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:37 PM
  • this guy has it dead right. one management console is the only way to work when you have 100 servers all virtualize the need for 3rd party BS is out the door. I guess thats why Xenserver is knocking the boots off Microsoft and windows 8.1 total junk and from what I see I will never upgrade to 2012 hyper-v, unless MS fixes their stupidly with one console to manage all Hyper-v`s not going to download some BS from another 3rd party cause MS is smoking stupid pills.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:39 AM