AD and IBM Directory Server

Question

• We are building a protal and using LDAP as the authentication mechanism and data is stored at the back end on IBM directory server v5.2. I plan to use Exchange server with Active directory for messaging on my portal.

I am looking to find ways/option in which I can integrated Active directory and IBM directory server? Is it easy/difficult and what is the best mechanism to do so?

TIA, Omer

Monday, August 28, 2006 6:48 AM

Answers

• We are actually supporting the Directory Server up to 6.0.

There is from us no specific AD / IBM Directory Server related documentation. However, you definitely get what you need from the available documentation.

A management agent (MA) is an interface between a connected data source and MIIS aka “bilingual data pump”. Your scenario requires two management agents – the ADMA and the IBMDS MA.

The objective of MIIS is to aggregate the authoritative identity data parts from various connected data sources into one authoritative view of a real world identity and to update non authoritative identity data parts with authoritative data – this is more than just replicating data.

Just making sure – MIIS does not provide authentication.

Cheers,

Markus

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Markus Vilcinskas

Technical Writer
    Microsoft Identity Integration Server
    mailto:markvi@microsoft.com.NO_SPAM

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/copyright.htm

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:52 AM

All replies

• You could use MIIS, There is a supported management agent for IBM directory server v5.2....

I would check out the Technical Reference and also the scenarios to get started...

Here's an area to get started...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/techinfo/planning/default.mspx

The simple provisioning scenario will give you a good place to start for the actual details for setting up everything..

HTH,

Joe

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:28 PM
  • Will this management agent provide synchronization of directories? If there any documentaiton specific to synchronization/replication/etc for AD and IBM directory v 5.2? If so, can you point me to that documentation?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:27 AM
  • We are actually supporting the Directory Server up to 6.0.

There is from us no specific AD / IBM Directory Server related documentation. However, you definitely get what you need from the available documentation.

A management agent (MA) is an interface between a connected data source and MIIS aka “bilingual data pump”. Your scenario requires two management agents – the ADMA and the IBMDS MA.

The objective of MIIS is to aggregate the authoritative identity data parts from various connected data sources into one authoritative view of a real world identity and to update non authoritative identity data parts with authoritative data – this is more than just replicating data.

Just making sure – MIIS does not provide authentication.

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Vilcinskas

Technical Writer
    Microsoft Identity Integration Server
    mailto:markvi@microsoft.com.NO_SPAM

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/copyright.htm

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:52 AM