none
Windows Intune offers Windows 7 license

Question

• Where can I find information about Windows 7 license that comes with Windows Intune.
    pla
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:56 AM

Answers

• I've just started investigating Intune, but I wonder if MS doesn't provide the Windows 7 license with the trial since once the trial is over, any installations of Windows 7 Enterprise would then need to be removed. If it were installed on production PCs, you would need to re-format the PCs, reinstall the previous OS, etc. MS probably figured very few testers would actually install Windows 7 Enterprise since Intune works with Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, as long as they are the business versions. Intune is what they are offering the trial of, not Windows 7 Enterprise.
    Tom Christofferson Dataworks Development
    • Marked as answer by Patrik Lilja Monday, March 28, 2011 5:34 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Patrik,

There's a paragraph about it here which states:

Windows 7 Enterprise Upgrade Rights with Software Assurance

With the upgrade rights provided by Windows Intune, you can upgrade any computer that is managed by Windows Intune and that meets the minimum Windows® 7 system requirements to Windows 7 Enterprise. Note that Windows 7 is not required to use Windows Intune; you have a choice to upgrade when you are ready, or you can use Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3, or Windows Vista.

Windows Intune also provides all the benefits of the Microsoft Software Assurance Program for Windows, including the following:

• New version rights

• TechNet Benefits through Software Assurance

• Extended hotfix support

• 24x7 problem resolution support

• Employee Purchase Program

• E-learning

• Training vouchers

Hope this helps,

David

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hi David,

Thankyou for your answer.

I have just learned, via Intune support, that for us who are Microsoft partners and registered as Microsoft Cloud Essentials partners ,tthe Windows 7 licences are not a part of our subscription as it is only provided as a Test Subscription.

We have just received a test license for Windows Intune and which does not include Windows 7 licenses. Thus, we can not learn how this works before we pay the full license which we do not need when we pay for those Windows licenses through other purchases. Thus, we can not demonstrate this to our and Microsofts mutual customers without buying another OS licenses when we already have all the licenses for that OS we need.

We will be forced to let our customers believe on our word, when we ask them to believe in Microsoft word, that it will work and that they can rest assured and buy a pig in a poke.

In Sweden, Microsoft is not among the best suppliers in terms of credibility with the small and medium-sized customers especially in those enterprises that are best suited to be customers of Intune. The companies who today lack their own IT organization and only consists of skeptical users who do not think that Microsoft products work, as they should, in normal circumstances,(this in their eyes, of course, from a layman's perspective), will then be hard to sell to. 

If I as an adviser and Microsoft cloud partner can not prove the functionality of the service, they become suspicious.

/Patrik

pla
    Friday, March 25, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I've just started investigating Intune, but I wonder if MS doesn't provide the Windows 7 license with the trial since once the trial is over, any installations of Windows 7 Enterprise would then need to be removed. If it were installed on production PCs, you would need to re-format the PCs, reinstall the previous OS, etc. MS probably figured very few testers would actually install Windows 7 Enterprise since Intune works with Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, as long as they are the business versions. Intune is what they are offering the trial of, not Windows 7 Enterprise.
    Tom Christofferson Dataworks Development
    • Marked as answer by Patrik Lilja Monday, March 28, 2011 5:34 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:12 PM