none
Replicating preconfigured VHDX files and AD

Question

• Hi,

I look after about 30 small separate sites and am working on a method to increase the roll out time of new domains.

My question is if I created a set of vhdx files each with Server 2012, Various Roles and a Domain created but only with the default users created.  Can I then copy this set of vdhx files and attach them in each site to save time.  Would anything come of having identical AD Domains across several locations. 

None of the locations are connected and are completely independent and will continue to be so.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

While what you're proposing is technically possible, I don't think you'll find anyone who will advocate for this approach as it goes very much goes against good practice, if not best practice.

It wouldn't take much of a change to your proposal to get back into an acceptable position, which would be to deploy the VHDX while the guest is still in a workgroup configuration and automate the domain controller promotion and role installation via something like Powershell or the command line equivalents. This is quite straight forward and won't add more than maybe ten minutes to overall availability time.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Marked as answer by Pilgrim99 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:21 AM

All replies