none
Roles installation in order

Question

• I am transitioning from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

What if i install hub role first (Will it make any Bad impact ).

I know Microsoft recommends to install CAS,HUB then mailbox . (Is there any reason to follow this order )

Why do we install CAS role first..?

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:53 AM

Answers

• Sunil,

If you are going to install new fresh Org of exchange 2010 , you can install any role first , there is no impact  but during Transitioning period from exchange 2003  , installation order does impact ..

as I said earlier , go through again to below :

An Exchange 2003  front-end server cannot provide access to an Exchange 2010 Mailbox server. In addition, an Exchange 2010 Mailbox server cannot send or receive e-mail messages if a Hub Transport server does not also exist in its Active Directory site. Therefore, when upgrading an existing Exchange organization, it is  recommend that you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles before installing the Mailbox server role. If you install the Mailbox server first, you will not have client access or mail flow to or from the Mailbox server until you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles.

At least one CAS server is required in each site for a Mailbox Server.

MCITP - Exchange 2010 | MCITP - Windows Server 2008 R2

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:22 AM
  • You can install HUB role first  but mail will not flow for the Exchange 2010 user's mailbox until you install CAS server .

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:59 AM

All replies

• Friday, November 08, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Hi 

I Already gone through the given blog however it was not helpful for me.

As i wanted to know the reason why can't i install my Hub Transport server first .

and why Microsoft suggest to install client access server First.

What if i install Hub Transport server first ? (Will it make any Bad impact ).

Is there any reason behind Microsoft Recommendation C,H,M 

Friday, November 08, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Hi 

I Already gone through the given blog however it was not helpful for me.

As i wanted to know the reason why can't i install my Hub Transport server first .

and why Microsoft suggest to install client access server First.

What if i install Hub Transport server first ? (Will it make any Bad impact ).

Is there any reason behind Microsoft Recommendation C,H,M 

An Exchange 2003  front-end server cannot provide access to an Exchange 2010 Mailbox server. In addition, an Exchange 2010 Mailbox server cannot send or receive e-mail messages if a Hub Transport server does not also exist in its Active Directory site. Therefore, when upgrading an existing Exchange organization, it is  recommend that you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles before installing the Mailbox server role. If you install the Mailbox server first, you will not have client access or mail flow to or from the Mailbox server until you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles.

The best practice to use when determining role installation order: -

• Client Access Server: Preps the environment for users to use the new services.
    • Hub Transport Server: Required for most inter-role and inter-server communication.
    • Mailbox Server: Holds mailboxes, but in order to access or handle mail, requires that a Client Access Server and Hub Transport Server be in place.

Hope this will help you ..

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Sunil: it is the best to follow Microsoft's recommendations. However, if you have HT role installed, just install CAS role next and then Mailbox. It should not have any negative impact in your environment.

Robert Mandziarz | IT Administrator: CodeTwo

If this post helps resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Friday, November 08, 2013 12:24 PM
  • HI Robert and Tarique

As per your replies i understood that it doesn't make any difference if don't follow  Microsoft recommendation .

We can install any of the roles first .

However my Client is still stucked to a question if there is no use of it then why Microsoft recommends it.

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Sunil,

If you are going to install new fresh Org of exchange 2010 , you can install any role first , there is no impact  but during Transitioning period from exchange 2003  , installation order does impact ..

as I said earlier , go through again to below :

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:22 AM
  • HI Tarique,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I just have 1 last question on this topic.

We are going to transit from 2k3 to 2k10 .

We will have all the Roles separated HUB on Server 3 , CAS on Server 2 , MB on Server 1

if we install hub role first will it make any difference or any impact . 

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:28 AM
  • You can install HUB role first  but mail will not flow for the Exchange 2010 user's mailbox until you install CAS server .

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:59 AM