none
Conditional split or not

Question

• Hello,

I need some columns of my CSV file to be split depending on the data and part of it need to append to the next column.

service center|center name|car|car name|missing, defects

I want to see

service|service center|car|car name,missing-defects

This is the case for only a partial set of my data. 

How can I achieve this in SSIS?

Thanks

inavap

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• The logic expressed appears to be too vague to approach this task. What is that data, and its part?

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Sorry for not being clear. The column is part of my data set and this data is being loaded into a table. This is a csv file but this column is pipe delimitted. The last part of the column appears only when there is a defect reported. And when loading into the table the next column needs to be updated as missing -defect.

And I was trying to find out which functinality of SSIS package can be used to achieve this? I can seperate these rows by using conditional split but not sure how I can remove the | and append it to the next column.

Thanks                                                                                                                                                             inavap

Thanks inavap

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:18 PM
  • is the last part ', defects ' or what?

I do not think the conditional split is going to help unless you do not load some records into the same destination.

The component to use I think of is the Derived Column Transformation, but I still cannot suggest the proper SSIS expression for you because I see no logic in how the text needs to transform, sorry.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:26 PM
  • You should not have to remove the Pipe. The flat file connection should define it as Pipe delimited. Then you can use a Derived Column in the Data Flow to append one column to the other.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30 PM
  • I think if your intention is to just rename the incoming columns, use derived column component.

Thanks, hsbal

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:50 PM