none
Windows Server 2012 R2 IPv6 managedaddress=disabled fail

Question

• Hello,

on a static IPv6 interface I disable the options routerdiscovery and managedaddress to get only the configured static IPv6 address on the interface. With Server 2012 R2 I can disable it, but it also gets an ip adress from my dhcpv6 server.

Can someone confirm this?

I find no other options to disable the dhcpv6 address as shown below:

Netsh int ipv6 set int 12 routerdiscovery=disabled

Netsh int ipv6 set int 12 managedaddress=disabled

Here are my interface options:

netsh interface ipv6>show addresses

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

Addr Type  DAD State   Valid Life Pref. Life Address
    ---------  ----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------------
    Other      Preferred     infinite   infinite ::1

Interface 12: Ethernet

Addr Type  DAD State   Valid Life Pref. Life Address
    ---------  ----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------------
    Manual     Preferred     infinite   infinite 2001:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Dhcp       Preferred  10d1h37m44s 6d1h37m44s 2001:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Other      Preferred     infinite   infinite fe80::94f1:5c6b:8845:f2a7%12

netsh interface ipv6>show int 12

Interface Ethernet Parameters
    ----------------------------------------------
    IfLuid                             : ethernet_10
    IfIndex                            : 12
    State                              : connected
    Metric                             : 10
    Link MTU                           : 1500 bytes
    Reachable Time                     : 26500 ms
    Base Reachable Time                : 30000 ms
    Retransmission Interval            : 1000 ms
    DAD Transmits                      : 1
    Site Prefix Length                 : 64
    Site Id                            : 1
    Forwarding                         : disabled
    Advertising                        : disabled
    Neighbor Discovery                 : enabled
    Neighbor Unreachability Detection  : enabled
    Router Discovery                   : disabled
    Managed Address Configuration      : disabled
    Other Stateful Configuration       : disabled
    Weak Host Sends                    : disabled
    Weak Host Receives                 : disabled
    Use Automatic Metric               : enabled
    Ignore Default Routes              : disabled
    Advertised Router Lifetime         : 1800 seconds
    Advertise Default Route            : disabled
    Current Hop Limit                  : 0
    Force ARPND Wake up patterns       : disabled
    Directed MAC Wake up patterns      : disabled
    ECN capability                     : application

Best regards,

Jörg

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• Disabling the 'Managed Address' does not stop the system from getting an address via DHCP.   What it does instead is allows it to configure its OWN IPv6 or instead use the static one you've manually set and still gets all of the other configuration information via DHCP.      You likely need to renew your IP information or it might still list both the static and dhcp

I don't have 2012 to test on currently, but after you've used the netsh commands to disable the routerdiscovery and disable the managedaddress,   do the following, where [index] is your NIC (looks like '12' from your commands so far.

ipconfig /renew6 [index]

Brian / ChevyNovaLN

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Disabling the M Flag does STOP the system from getting an address via DHCP.

It worked in Windows 7 / 8 and Server 2008 R2 / 2012.

I know that I have to release the ipv6 addresses, but only in 2012 r2 it doesnt work.

So I think it's a bug or a new secret option :D

I use a router advertisment with A=0 M=1 O=1 for my ipv6 subnet and a Windows 2012 DHCPv6 Server

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:29 PM
  • I can confirm this behavior.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.  I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I was going off documentation I used to setup 2008r2 systems.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:04 PM
  • I can also confirm this behavior.  I've noticed this also.
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Does anyone know of a way to report this Microsoft?

Best regards,

Jörg

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having this same problem on a new Windows 2012 R2 server I'm setting up and was wondering if there was an update on this?

Thanks

Nick

Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

has anyone an Idea for this Problem?

I've the same issue, on a 2012R2 std Server which is AD DC an DHCP Server for IPv6 which static IPv6 address, disabled the  routerdiscovery and managedaddress, released the v6 but after a reboot of the Machine, (oder deactivation of the nic) the second dhcp assigned v6 address still appears again.

Kind regards

Manfred

Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi All:

Yes, I just recently observed this problem and have a couple of other findings to contribute.

The functionality of the router discovery and managed address configuration are not preserved across computer reboots for virtual machines hosted within the Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V environment. I duplicated the setup (below) in VMware Workstation and the problem does not occur. Also, I have a number of virtual machines hosted on Windows 2012 Hyper-V and the problem does not occur there either. It appears to be related to the implementation of the synthetic network adapters in Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V. Both Generation 1 and Generation 2 virtual machines are affected.

Setup

Enable RouterDiscovery and ManagedAddressConfiguration
    PS> Set-NetIPInterface Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv6 -RouterDiscovery Enabled
    PS> Set-NetIPInterface Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv6 -ManagedAddressConfiguration Enabled

Verify the settings using

PS> Get-NetIPInterface Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv6 | fl * (or, netsh int ipv6 show int Ethernet)

Type ipconfig -all to display the configuration. Two items will appear in the adapter configuration: 1) An additional IPv6 address will be assigned by DHCPv6, and 2) the router's link-local address will be added to the list of default gateways.

Next, disable RouterDiscovery and ManagedAddressConfiguration
    PS> Set-NetIPInterface Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv6 -RouterDiscovery Disabled
    PS> Set-NetIPInterface Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv6 -ManagedAddressConfiguration Disabled

Verify settings using Get-NetIPInterface

Type ipconfig -all to display the configuration. The IPv6 address assigned by DHCPv6 will be removed AND the router's link-local address will no longer be present in the list of default gateways.

Reboot the computer. Once the computer reboots, verify interface settings using Get-NetIPInterface. Both RouterDiscovery and ManagedAddressConfiguration will be disabled.

Type ipconfig -all. An additional IPv6 address will be assigned by DHCPv6, however, the router's link-local address will NOT be in the list of default gateways.

Attempts to disable RouterDiscovery and ManagedAddressConfiguration will not remove the additional IPv6 address assigned by DHCPv6. Instead, you must first enable RouterDiscovery and ManagedAddressConfiguration then disable RouterDiscovery and ManageAddressConfiguration.

The problem does not occur when I replicate the setup in VMware Workstation since they use different network drivers. As mentioned before, this problem appears to be specifically related to the synthetic network adapters implemented in Hyper-V 2012 R2.

This does appear to be a defect. Efforts to pass this along to the Hyper-V networking folks would be appreciated. Thank you!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Shaun

Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:10 PM