none
Can I use the existing SQL Server Analysis Service for SharePoint PoverPivot?

Question

• Greetings,

I am in the process of installing and configuring PowerPivot for SharePoint in our three-tier SharePoint 2013 farm running on Windows 2012.

Our SQL 2012 SP1 which is setup on a separate Windows 2012 server already has the SQL Server Analysis service installed. We also have the SQL Server Reporting service installed on the same server. Both the Analysis and Reporting instance ARE NOT named as PowerPivot.

Do I still need to install the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint? If yes then how?

I was referring to this TechNet article, 'Install PowerPivot for SharePoint', however, I am stuck at step 1 subsequent step 9 i.e. I do not see the option to select 'SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint'. I am the local administrator of the server when installing and have attempted installing using the same existing SQL instance and a new one.

I am also referring to this TechNet article, 'Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server' but am stuck for the very same reason as mentioned above.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Saturday, March 29, 2014 10:08 PM

Answers

• I had to install SQL 2012 Business Intelligence to add the SharePoint PowerPivot feature to the existing instance.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

• Edited by Dan Christian Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM correction
    • Marked as answer by Dan Christian Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM
    Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM

All replies

• I think the installation program use the existing SQL Server that contain SharePoint config DataBase.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:41 PM
  • Hi M.,

Are you referring to the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint installation program?

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Monday, March 31, 2014 12:15 PM
  • I had to install SQL 2012 Business Intelligence to add the SharePoint PowerPivot feature to the existing instance.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

• Edited by Dan Christian Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM correction
    • Marked as answer by Dan Christian Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM
    Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 AM