none
Risks associated with partial SP3 installation

Question

• Hi

We have an evironment with 12,000 mailboxes. There are a total of 14 Exchange servers in the environment. I would like to install SP3, but discovered the issue with 3rd party attachments and the inability to delete them. Most of our users use OWA for mailbox access which puts them at risk for this bug. I would go to Update Rollup 1, but it seems there is an even worse bug in that which causes the transport to crash.

I am thinking that I'd like to install Exchange 2010 SP3 and the interim update which fixes the soft delete problem. Here is my issue:

In our test lab, each SP3 installation took 20 to 30 minutes. The interim update took another 20 to 30 minutes. That's an hour total time for each server. There are very few servers which I would be able to update at the same time. This means that total time required to update the environment is going to be about 12 hours.

What are the risks associated with partial SP3 installation? Meaning, if I were to update all the CAS and Hub servers one night and update all the mailbox servers on another night, are there any known problems with that? I would really like to get our Exchange servers up to date, but I am worried that I'm not going to be able to finish them all within our maintenance window. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Erik Holland

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

The correct upgrade order is Client Access; Hub Transport; Unified Messaging; Mailbox. No known problems. If you partially upgrade your mailbox servers you won't be able to switchover due to the different in versions, so you should plan on doing it all the mailbox servers.

I was running different versions in my environment for about 3 weeks with no problems. 

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Hi

I would go to Update Rollup 1, but it seems there is an even worse bug in that which causes the transport to crash.

Erik Holland

Hi,
    That "bug" was fixed in RU2
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859596

Don't see any problems with updating all CAS and HUB Servers first and then at another time, the Mailbox Servers.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Thank you both for your quick response. Good to know that I can divide things up a bit and don't have to rock this all out in one night. I was not looking forward to that night :)
    Monday, September 30, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Hi

The correct upgrade order is Client Access; Hub Transport; Unified Messaging; Mailbox. No known problems. If you partially upgrade your mailbox servers you won't be able to switchover due to the different in versions, so you should plan on doing it all the mailbox servers.

I was running different versions in my environment for about 3 weeks with no problems. 

The initial SP3 doc was not 100% accurate, you can move a database between Sp2 and Sp3 MBX server.  The underlying database schema is the same.  This was not the case with RTM -> Sp1 as the DB schema was changed. 

I still don't want to see folks with mismatched versions though for extended periods, it's not something that I would state as is a good practise.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:55 AM
  • I have a customer that has to do 20 servers in one window.  So that has to be a weekend activity.

Please also make sure that this is getting installed (though you may already have it)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2012/02/29/exchange-2010-recommend-dag-update.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:58 AM