none
Trying to USE MDT just for capture not sysprep

General discussion

• hi

im trying to figure out a way to use MDT just to capture a reference machine.im using third party software that does syspreping and drivers (UIU).is their anyway just to use MDT just to capture and than use to deploy? if anyone can share their thoughts on this to help that would be appreciated.

thanks

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:34 AM

All replies

• What OS are you capturing? I have not done this myself, but in theory you could create a Sysprep and Capture task sequence and then disable the Sysprep steps. Any particular reason why you wouldn't use MDT for the sysprep as well?

-Nick O.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:06 PM
  • As Nick said, you can use the "Sysprep and Capture" Task Sequence and then customize as needed to fit your specific needs.  Since your Sysprep is already being done, there are two ways to modify it depending on how you want to do your capture:

• Disable the "Execute Sysprep" from within "Capture Image" and run the Task Sequence from the full Windows OS using LiteTouch.vbs
    • Disable everything but "Gather local only" and "Create WIM" and start the Task Sequence from WinPE.  I do this when I want to capture the "base Image" a new device is provided with in the event I need to go back to it for troubleshooting.  In my specific case, I don't sysprep it first since I want it "exact" and not "generalize", but in your case it sounds like something else has done the sysprep/generalize for you already.

Although, if you are going to use MDT to capture and deploy, why not use it to do the full thing? : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:19 PM